UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Son returns Father's stolen Italian artefacts

Sisto says he realized the items his father collected belonged "to the world, not to an individual," so he confronted his father, causing a schism in the family.

"It was enough to keep us apart for over a decade," Sisto says.

Not for nuthin, but I wonder whether Sisto's confrontation with his father caused the old man to cut his son out of his will? In which case, it no doubt would have been easier for a disinherited son to tip off the FBI regarding the stolen goods.

"I didn't want the event of my father's death to mean an inheritance for our family...

Whatever the case (and purely for the sake of entertaining family drama), I wouldn't mind hearing whether the rest of the family (that stood to inherit) shared in Sisto's altruism.

Thank goodness the old man never had a fire in his house.

-- Nephele

I'm fascinated by the article's only picture. What do you think it is? It looks very Roman Empire.

I'm fascinated by the article's only picture. What do you think it is? It looks very Roman Empire.

In the center of the manuscript it looks like an eagle perching on a shield. A coat of arms? Very late Roman or Medieval, methinks.

"He [ Sisto sr ] wanted to document it and spent years and years translating over 1,100 ancient manuscripts," he [ Sisto jr ] says. "And the translations are included along with the material that the FBI has seized and is returning to Italy."

What gives the FBI the right to seize those translations ? They weren't stolen, even if the sources for them were.

"He [ Sisto sr ] wanted to document it and spent years and years translating over 1,100 ancient manuscripts," he [ Sisto jr ] says. "And the translations are included along with the material that the FBI has seized and is returning to Italy."

What gives the FBI the right to seize those translations ? They weren't stolen, even if the sources for them were.

Those artifacts were stolen from Italy and then sold to the father. That's clearly a matter for the law.

It might be a matter for the law and those translations may be seized temporarily as evidence in the case. But they are not Italian property. They are the property of the Sisto family. If they are handed over to the Italians I guarantee you years and years of costly law suits. And who's going to pay for those ? You are, partly.

Formosus