UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Titus Trebatius Sacerdos

Newcomer to Roman History - Recommended books?

Also, keep in mind that Roman history is vast in it's timeline and culture. Pick an era that means something to you. Don't start with Julius Caesar and the fall of the Republic if it's the foundation of Christianity that appeals to you. Most people start with something that really draws them in, and find that the interest continues to grow as they learn more.

I know I have a general interest in the history of the Roman Republic right now; not sure what specifically as of yet. I figure the book on Caesar I bought will help me better understand the end of the republic.

As good a starting point as any... just enjoy the pursuit. :pokey:

Thanks. :unsure:

Also, keep in mind that Roman history is vast in it's timeline and culture. Pick an era that means something to you. Don't start with Julius Caesar and the fall of the Republic if it's the foundation of Christianity that appeals to you. Most people start with something that really draws them in, and find that the interest continues to grow as they learn more.

I know I have a general interest in the history of the Roman Republic right now; not sure what specifically as of yet. I figure the book on Caesar I bought will help me better understand the end of the republic.

As good a starting point as any... just enjoy the pursuit. :)

Thanks. :)

Welcome Titus!

Try getting a hold of Chronicle of the Roman Republic by our very own Philip Matyszak. It's a great colourful introduction to the key figures of the period. It's also worth checking out Chris Scarre's companion book - Chronicle of the Roman Emperors.

The History of Rome by Michael Grant is a bit old (I think it was written in the 70s - 80s) but it's still a really great introduction to Roman history from the Etruscans to the fall of the city.

There are a bunch of other books I'd recommend, such as Handbook to Life in Ancient Rome by Roy and Lesley Adkins, but it might be a bit too much for beginners. It is worth getting once you've decided that you want to pursue Roman history a bit further though, as it's great reference material but not much good if you want something to read from cover to cover.

As good a starting point as any... just enjoy the pursuit. :)

Thanks. :)

Welcome Titus!

Try getting a hold of Chronicle of the Roman Republic by our very own Philip Matyszak. It's a great colourful introduction to the key figures of the period. It's also worth checking out Chris Scarre's companion book - Chronicle of the Roman Emperors.

The History of Rome by Michael Grant is a bit old (I think it was written in the 70s - 80s) but it's still a really great introduction to Roman history from the Etruscans to the fall of the city.

There are a bunch of other books I'd recommend, such as Handbook to Life in Ancient Rome by Roy and Lesley Adkins, but it might be a bit too much for beginners. It is worth getting once you've decided that you want to pursue Roman history a bit further though, as it's great reference material but not much good if you want something to read from cover to cover.

All right, thanks. I'll keep those books in mind.

...And keep us informed as to how you're doing, and how you find the books!

...And keep us informed as to how you're doing, and how you find the books!

Will do. I just hope my books arrive soon ......I'll have to call the post office tomorrow to see if they know where they are. Ordered them two weeks ago and they still haven't arrived. :)

Salve -

A great little book that gives good insight to daily life in Ancient Rome is, well, "Life in Ancient Rome" by F.R. Cowell.

Tacitus' "Annals" and Suetonius' "The Twelve Caesars" are mandatory.

The Mammoth Book of EYEWITNESS Ancient Rome has interesting short excerpts of plenty of great writers of the age, as well as letters and documents written by the ancients. Lots of good stuff written by Cicero and Julius Caesar.

Enjoy!

Marius

Don't forget the original authors.

I'd recommend reading Livy alongside modern books that explain more of the background, and Tacitus for the early empire. Add Suetonius' twelve Caesars for a bit of spice, and maybe a bit of Sallust for the late Republic and Julius Caesar himself. There's nothing like reading history by people who were there at the time.

But check out our mate Maty too! And Goldsworthy, and H.H Scullard, and Gibbon. Here's a plan; read the Scullard and the Gibbon for an old school kind of feel (and the classics ie Tacitus, Suetonius, Polybius, Livy etc for an authentic Ancient School kind of feel!) and then reconcile these to the modern wonders of Matyzak and Goldworthy for a contemporary take on things.

I think our friend Maty is just being modest. He has written some very, very informative books on Rome and her notables. For a laugh, check out his Rome on 5 denarii a day. Just like being there!

Edited by cornelius_sulla

"The Twelve Caesars"

Deffinately a book that can not be passed up at all! I read this on the flight back from Rome and luckily had more than enough time that I did not have to put it down once I started. It had so much information that I had no clue about. I give this book an A+++

Another book that I own and have read about the Emperors is called "The Roman Emperors: A biographical guide to the rulers of Imperial Rome". Covers the Emperors from Augustus to Romulus (475-476 A.D.). This book gives a great insite to all of the Emperors of Rome. Even covers the Emperors of the Roman Empire that were either deemed Emperor by the Legions while at the battle sites but not officially declaired Emperor by Rome, the Emperors that lasted only a handful of days/months, and the Emperors that were in power after the Roman Empire spilt into East and West.

"The Age of the Gladiators" it is more of a Faction styled book

"The Way of the Gladiator" Based more on Fact

I could list many others, but all of my books are in a box at the moment since I am in the middle of moving. Can list more once they get unpacked.

Of course, have many on Caligula as well. Can give titles after they are unpacked.

Another author I recently discovered who has a number of historical books Stephan Dando Collins, more on individual legions and their Generals
I have a book on order by Dando-Collins...on the tenth legion. Though there's some discussion on these boards that his books are a little more fiction than non-fiction, they're supposedly good and enjoyable reads and I suppose if you keep that in mind, you'll probably be okay.

The absolute classic fiction in the Roman Military genre is Wallace Breem's "Eagle in the Snow".

"Day of the Barbarians" by Alessandro Barbero is a good quick non-fiction read (less than 150 pages) on the Battle of Adrianople, but gives you good historical context to the later Empire.

Simon Scarrow's series is fun fiction. Not too deep, but exciting.

Let us know what you find!