UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Wine

Edit to add: in celebration of this marvelous thread, we should all enjoy some vinu' of choice. Saluti a tutti! Amore e soldi per sempre! *cin cin*

Perhaps we go off topic, but what is more Roman than a discussion of wine :(

A fabulous cheapy that my wife and I both love... Nobili Palazzoli Primitivo di Salento. Yes a southern Italian wine despite my previously confessed preference for northern Italy. Its essentially a Zinfandel, but its not quite so robust as the American versions. Personally I like it as a sipping wine, but I am rather unrefined. :(

At worst you won't pay more than $10 a bottle but my local shop sells it for a meager $6.99.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.Pilus: As far as I am concerned (and as starter of this topic), let's make it a discussion of wine, ergo:

If one is supposed to mix honey with Falerno, how about drinking Mulsum instead? That is if there is an equvalent today.

Nothing like Sangria. Rioja, Spanish brandy and God knows what else. Went great with one of my favorite dishes, pulpo (octopus). I am sure that the Romans ate pulpo.

Nothing like Sangria. Rioja, Spanish brandy and God knows what else. Went great with one of my favorite dishes, pulpo (octopus). I am sure that the Romans ate pulpo.

Still do, as far as I know. Never could do cephalopods, personally *shivvvvver*

PP...that might be one for me to check out. Normally I'm not a Zin fan, but if it's a 'light' Zin, it's worth a shot. I don't ever pay more than $15, and that had better be spectacular. $8-12 is my range, depending. Will look for it!

Sangria is great with any seafood. I particularly like this with shrimp scampi (the spicy version).

I must try some of the wines listed here. Last year, we had a business meeting in the Napa valley for over three days and it was nothing but wine after 5 pm. We would literally drink through the night and somehow make it through the next day's sessions. However, quantities of excellent food helped and it's no wonder the Roman empire collapsed. All that drinking and eating - we have to pay for it some day, I guess !!! I'm still recovering from the after effects of that 3 day orgy of food and wine (it's surprising we got any business done but hey, sometimes you think better after a few glasses are within you)

Dacian king Burebista it's said to have destroyed the vinyards. Maybe that got him killed. Anyway, you can try some fine romanian wine. My favorite it's Pinot Noir of Murfatlar made not far from Tomis/Constanta. This why they made a very sweet mix of wines called Ovid Tears. Cotnari it's also a great vinyard famous since Stephan the Great, ruler of Moldova.

Believe it or not, Sardinia actually has some good wines. Depending on the vintage, Argiolas produces some excellent wines for under $15.

But of course, if memory serves me correctly, most of the varieties grown there now were imported by the Spanish in the 15th & 16th Centuries of our era.

Though the Phoenicians brought wine to the island, their prodigy the Carthaginians tore down the vines to make way for grain production...

Edited by Pantagathus

If my memory serves me, corked wine is a relatively new phenomenon. Post 1600's? If Roman wine wasn't corked it may have been a drink totally different from what we think of as wine.

If my memory serves me, corked wine is a relatively new phenomenon. Post 1600's? If Roman wine wasn't corked it may have been a drink totally different from what we think of as wine.

If it is 'corked', one shouldn't drink it! :o

If it is 'corked', one shouldn't drink it! :o

As I understand it, wine makers are attempting to get back to non corked bottles, but corking has become so ingrained as a sign of quality that its something the bottlers will have difficulty breaking. Synthetic corks will probably catch on easier than screw cap bottles and such.

As I understand it, wine makers are attempting to get back to non corked bottles, but corking has become so ingrained as a sign of quality that its something the bottlers will have difficulty breaking. Synthetic corks will probably catch on easier than screw cap bottles and such.

I've been told by numerous wine consultants I know that within 10 years only ~$100+ bottles of wine (and probably a lot of French ones...) will keep the traditional cork. Everybody else will shift to twist off & synthetic. Rightfully so! The wine is more resistant to becoming tainted and will save the wine makers a ton in the end.

Uncouth as it may be, I love the twist off. Sometimes a bottle just isn't finished in one sitting and it keeps much longer.

I especially like it when traveling (business or pleasure) when I'd like a glass of wine before going to bed. Don't have to lug around a corkscrew and the bottle can leave with you a lot easier if not finished. ^_^

Uncouth as it may be, I love the twist off. Sometimes a bottle just isn't finished in one sitting and it keeps much longer.

I especially like it when traveling (business or pleasure) when I'd like a glass of wine before going to bed. Don't have to lug around a corkscrew and the bottle can leave with you a lot easier if not finished. ^_^

I love the rubber stopper and vacuum pump system that I have. Very easy to use, the hand pump is compact, and the rubber stoppers can be put in the dishwasher. But, yes, the screw-tops are becoming more popular in Europe than in the States...but it's growing.

I love the rubber stopper and vacuum pump system that I have. Very easy to use, the hand pump is compact, and the rubber stoppers can be put in the dishwasher. But, yes, the screw-tops are becoming more popular in Europe than in the States...but it's growing.

Doesn't a nitrogen(?) gas have to be pumped into the bottle?

(actually, Octavius, if it is corked, the best thing is to get it uncorked as soon as possible ...)

Hehehe, Andrew, they may have a different slang term for it in France but I think Octavius was making a play on words regarding a 'tainted' bottle which here is said to be 'corked', I assume because of the lovely smelling crud on the cork that often gives it away that vinegar is in the making. :o

Bear in mind that the Romans also used a quite different method, closely resembling the modern bag-in-a-box (but without the box). I mean, of course, the ox-skin or culleus, in which wine was transported in bulk, and the goat-skin in which you could carry a moderate quantity. These, again, would have added their own flavour qualities.

And queue the depiction of a culleus!

This is new to me. So what did people use before 1600?

Screw top seems so cheap. It would be nice though not to have to worry about getting the annoying paper wrap off the top or those little cork particles in your wine sometimes.

Doesn't a nitrogen(?) gas have to be pumped into the bottle?

Not at all. The hand pump literally gets the air out...in theory, the wine can stay like that for a week or two. However, around me and my kin, a wine bottle will last *at most* 36 hours. :)