UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Emperor's Words Cause Controversy

Horatius

"Stressing that they were not his own words, he quoted Emperor Manuel II Paleologos of the Byzantine Empire" http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5349578.stm Thought some might find this interesting. Just for the fact that the words of one of the last legitimate Roman Emperors can have such impact in the 21st century.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shall we tremble in fear of those who do not allow other religions to be practiced in peace? Those who call for wiping out other nations? Re-conquering originally Christian states? Hanging Christian children for blasphemy?

Maybe one of the Pope's conclusions should have been read:

"Only thus do we become capable of that genuine dialogue of cultures and religions so urgently needed today. In the Western world it is widely held that only positivistic reason and the forms of philosophy based on it are universally valid. Yet the world's profoundly religious cultures see this exclusion of the divine from the universality of reason as an attack on their most profound convictions." ....

"Yet the question why this has to be so is a real question, and one which has to be remanded by the natural sciences to other modes and planes of thought -- to philosophy and theology. For philosophy and, albeit in a different way, for theology, listening to the great experiences and insights of the religious traditions of humanity, and those of the Christian faith in particular, is a source of knowledge, and to ignore it would be an unacceptable restriction of our listening and responding."....

"Not to act reasonably (with logos) is contrary to the nature of God," said Manuel II, according to his Christian understanding of God, in response to his Persian interlocutor. It is to this great logos, to this breadth of reason, that we invite our partners in the dialogue of cultures. To rediscover it constantly is the great task of the university.

Thanks Horatius.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

tflex, read the Pope's entire message at Horatius post.

I read it, I like what he said, he is right, but the Catholic church got image problems. It's leader must address such serious issues, if he is to be taken more seriously.

Edited by tflex

Two Churches Hit

"NABLUS, West Bank - Two churches in the West Bank were hit by firebombs early Saturday, witnesses and clergy said, and a group claiming responsiblity said the attacks were meant as a protest against comments by Pope Benedict XVI about Islam." AP

You knew it would happen at some point, somewhere. Now how about a Christian throws a firebomb into a mosque to get even :blowup: . I think not, it would be blasphemy, only muslims are alllowed to be terrorists, it's their god given right :2guns: . Frankly, the whole thing is ridicolous, the Pope is in over his head, just like the Pope before him and the one before that..., the muslim clerics are now inciting violence as they did in the Danish incident, the result is innocent people will die :whistling: . Though I agree 100% with the Pope's comment, it's just that coming from him, the infallible protector of pedophiles is exceedingly hypocritical. Jihadists incite violence, and the Pope protects violent criminals taking refuge under the Catholic church while preying on children. No, I think these so-called religious men of peace :angel: need to get their head examined some time :giljotiini: .

Edited by tflex

Islam in Arabic does not mean, 'submission to God's will' in Arabic it you look at it closely it means, 'force to convert.' Many have tricked Westerners into believing that it is a peaceful religion while making the Christians look like barbarians.

Saying that Islam is a religion of peace is like saying Hitler loved the Jews. The fact is a Jihad is a right of passage to heaven for the Muslims. So lets put this together if you kill others, behead others, and commit suicide how is this peace?

If peace means killing as many people as possible so that you can get into an eternal life, consider it peace.

More news. If the Westerner's want to open their eyes any time soon, perhaps we can get a welcomed intervention in the Middle East before the roots of Chrisitianity alludes all.

Now the Pontiff apologizes. Ah, well, I guess no one's infallible.

This time my clemency will not prevail. The Papacy claims to be infallible with regard to 'Faith' and 'Morals'. To paraphrase yourself, read the Pope's ENTIRE speech as noted in Horatius above.

Were your humble servant another, he might say: Don't you write infallibly?

Edited by Gaius Octavius