UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Introducing Children to the Ancient World

M. Porcius Cato

I'm looking for some really great books that will introduce a 6-year-old genius to the ancient world--mythology, history, social life, anything ancient. At the same age, I devoured all sorts of richly illustrated books of mythology, but I can't recall any of the titles. Suggestions?

Minimus is great:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Minimus-Pupils-Boo...3731&sr=8-1

He lives at Vindolanda , and his Latin is excellent.The storyline draws the young reader in, any intelligent child with a questing imagination will be drawn like a moth to a flame.

My son was about 6 or 7 when he picked up John Warry's Warfare in the Classical World off one of my shelves and started to devour it. There is a linear text to place the battles in their historical context, with a decent overview of the background politics. The illustrations are colourful and will catch a young boy's eye (I am presuming this is a boy); so too will the battle plan diagrams. From reading the Warry (or at least imbibing the pictures and some of the text) my son went on to watch Time Commanders on TV and decided he wanted to learn more about the Greeks and Romans, so started to raid my shelves.

There's also the more light-hearted Horrible Histories series (I can't get the link to work on this one). This presents some salient facts in a funny way and again gets a youngster interested, although I doubt he'd be ready for an erudite discussion on the merits of the Republic or the Athenian Democracy after reading one of these. They are fun, though.

If it's myths you're after, another decent introduction for a youngster is an old favourite by H.A. Guerber: The Myths of Greece and Rome (again the link won't work - sorry). This has been reprinted so many times, it must be in it's 50th edition in 2005. My own edition from 1978 is a hardcover with some nice photos of famous art to help illustrate the myths. It gives the more famous tales concerning the 12 Olympians - Apollo/Daphne etc. It's a nice little book to dip into.

If I can come up with any more, I'll post again.

There is a collection of books on the ancient world (Rome, China, Persia, etc.) by the 'Silver Burdett Company". Three of these slightly larger than comic book size books were written and illustrated by Peter Connolly. His titles are: 'The Roman Army'; 'The Greek Army' and 'Hannibal and the Enemies of Rome'. I have the Roman one, and can say that it is lavishly illustrated - good for a kid.

"This book will be devoured by enthusiasts from 8 years to 80!" - Teachers World

Barnes & Noble has a kids section.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths was my childhood introduction to classical mythology. The publisher today says that the book is intended for ages 9-12, but when I was a kid it seemed that we all were reading books on that level at a younger age. I don't imagine your 6-year-old having a problem with it. The book is lavishly illustrated, too.

And, of course, you know I'm going to mention my friend Caroline Lawrence's wonderful series, The Roman Mysteries, as a fiction recommendation. Again, the publisher's suggested reading level is ages 9-14, but G. Paullinus Maximus on this board is reading the books to his 5-year-old daughter and says she's enjoying them.

Caroline Lawrence is a classicist and former Latin teacher, and the mystery plots of her books are peppered with so many factual and fascinating tidbits of history and social life that readers virtually experience life in Rome of 79-81 C.E. Each book contains a glossary of terms used, and young children are likely to pick up a bit of a Latin vocabulary ("Euge!") in addition to finding out what mulsum and garum were. There's also a brief chapter at the end of each book explaining some aspect of ancient Rome that was the theme of that particular story -- law courts, chariot racing, the inaugural games of the Flavian Amphitheater, etc. -- often with primary sources cited. And, historic figures such as Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger, Vespasian, and others make appearances in the books (a very young Suetonius shares a few things in common with the series' young protagonist), further familiarizing young readers with history.

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele

of course, you know I'm going to mention my friend Caroline Lawrence's wonderful series, The Roman Mysteries, as a fiction recommendation.

Thanks for the suggestions, Nephele. (BTW, it's not for my 6-year-old; I'm happily childfree ATM.) Can you ask Caroline when the BBC adaptation will show in the US? I'm waiting for it with baited breath.

of course, you know I'm going to mention my friend Caroline Lawrence's wonderful series, The Roman Mysteries, as a fiction recommendation.

Thanks for the suggestions, Nephele. (BTW, it's not for my 6-year-old; I'm happily childfree ATM.) Can you ask Caroline when the BBC adaptation will show in the US? I'm waiting for it with baited breath.

Hi, MPC. Caroline doesn't know when it will show in the U.S., or even when the DVD will be out. The series was summarily postponed due to an act of political correctness by the media. (In the series, children are being kidnapped by pirates, and because of the kidnapped child Madeleine McCann, the Beeb was afraid that McCann family members and friends would be upset if they should happen to see that episode on their teevee.)

I've got the first two episodes on DVD, but I can't get them to play on my DVD player or computer, unfortunately. Still trying to work it out.

In the meantime, you can watch a trailer for the series here. Brits will no doubt recognize veteran actor Simon Callow in the role of Pliny the Elder.

Heh, I'm childfree, too. But my man and I have been adopted by my neighbors' kids, so we're often on the lookout for cool stuff for them, too.

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele

Some of Peter Cobnnelly's books are worth getting, although they might be a bit too complex for six year olds. Still, You might like to try getting hold of 'Pompeii', 'The Roman Fort', 'The Legionary and 'The Cavalryman'.

Like Wot, I'd recommend 'The Rotten Romans' by Terry Deary (I'v heard that he has released a sequal 'The Ruthless Romans' as well).

I can't comment on the Ruthless Romans, but I should tell you that 'The Rotten Romans' does have a few mistakes, including a claim that Caligula watched men being butchered in the Colosseum.

I can't comment on the Ruthless Romans, but I should tell you that 'The Rotten Romans' does have a few mistakes, including a claim that Caligula watched men being butchered in the Colosseum.

That's pretty bad, considering that the Colosseum hadn't been built yet. What other mistakes does the book have?

-- Nephele

• 3 months later...

I'm a little late to the party here, but here's a link to a number of online books on Rome geared toward younger readers. I offer this without editorial comment as to their content. :lightbulb:

The Baldwin Online Children's Literature Project

Edited by G-Manicus

My daughters 5yrs old and she's got a few of the Usbourne books on Romans, she quite happily sits and reads them over and over again, so as a starting point they're perfect for beginners.

She also likes these sites....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/romans/

http://europeanhistory.about.com/gi/dynami...dren/index.html

She also likes The Roman Mysteries site too...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/romanmysteries/index.shtml

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

• 1 month later...
My daughters 5yrs old and she's got a few of the Usbourne books on Romans, she quite happily sits and reads them over and over again, so as a starting point they're perfect for beginners.

Here's a link to the Usbourne Books selection of books on Ancient History.

Edited by G-Manicus