UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Inability to grasp the Greco-Roman moralists

guy

I'm sure we all have large defects in our knowledge and understanding of Ancient Rome.

My most obvious defect is my lack of knowledge of Latin, for example. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never learn Latin, however. The reasons are simple: not enough time and not enough room in my simple brain. I speak Spanish daily at work and I need to know Italian to communicate with my cousins in Italy. I just cannot absorb enough of another language and hope to do it justice.

Another glaring deficiency is my inability to grasp the Greco-Roman moralists, as much as I may try. For me, trying to read about these important figures in the philosophical world of Ancient Rome is a guaranteed soporific. I'm trying, nevertheless, to learn to appreciate Dio Crysostom, Musonius Rufus, Epictetus, Lucian of Samosata, etc. :)

http://www.radicalacademy.com/adiphilethical2.htm

Because I'm a dullard, this has not been easy. (This could also explain my inability to grasp the philosophical rants of the more famous Ancient Greek philosophers, also.)

I was wondering whether anyone else has the problem. Or was there another area in the study of Ancient Rome that failed to inspire others but was still recognized as being important?

guy also known as gaius

I have bookmarked that site, Guy. it looks like it should be read without multi tasking.

And yes, I keep trying at least once a year to start learning Latin. There are so many languages I would like to learn. But it will have to be my next lifetime.

You're not alone. I find many things in the Greco-Roman legacy inspiring, but I am afraid the moral musings of the philosophers are not among them. My reaction ranges from bored indifference to hostility.

Do I consider it important? Certainly. Greco-Roman religion by its very nature does not impose a long list of rules on its adherents (unlike some religions), which meant that ethical and cosmological speculation were now in the hands of lovers of wisdom rather than priests. But I appreciate more the process of inquiry developed by those philosophers rather than the actual systems they devised.

Another glaring deficiency is my inability to grasp the Greco-Roman moralists, as much as I may try. For me, trying to read about these important figures in the philosophical world of Ancient Rome is a guaranteed soporific. I'm trying, nevertheless, to learn to appreciate Dio Crysostom, Musonius Rufus, Epictetus, Lucian of Samosata, etc. :dontgetit:

http://www.radicalacademy.com/adiphilethical2.htm

Because I'm a dullard, this has not been easy. (This could also explain my inability to grasp the philosophical rants of the more famous Ancient Greek philosophers, also.)

I was wondering whether anyone else has the problem. Or was there another area in the study of Ancient Rome that failed to inspire others but was still recognized as being important?

guy also known as gaius

I suppose you are well aware that by setting your standard for Edited by sylla

When a subject of study is arid for us, I think the quid is to check on its relevance for everyday
Edited by guy