UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Coins

Ensign Ewart

I am trying to find a genuine Roman coin, (any denomination), that will not cost the earth. This is for my wife's birthday, any help advice etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I am trying to find a genuine Roman coin, (any denomination), that will not cost the earth. This is for my wife's birthday, any help advice etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

There is a shop on The Shambles in York with a wide selection of Roman coins from mainly - I think - the third and fourth centuries. I can get the name and number shortly and will obviously post the details if that is any help for you.

Thanks

There is a shop on The Shambles in York with a wide selection of Roman coins from mainly - I think - the third and fourth centuries. I can get the name and number shortly and will obviously post the details if that is any help for you.

That wouold be great thanks.

I posted in the other "news" thread as well, but if there is a place to find a reputable dealer (either in a local shop or online) it's vcoins.com.

Klingan... coins range in price based on rarity, subject matter, quality, metal type, etc. A Brutus Eid Mar Aureus (gold) commemorating the death of Caesar could cost you a cool $250,000. some gold coin rough values

A nice silver denarius of a popular emperor (like Trajan for instance) might be had in the $100 range.

An increasingly common Constantinian era bronze (unfortunately because of massive Balkan state site looting) are literally becoming a dime a dozen and can be found for a few dollars. Unfortunately, the massive influx of these coins into the market is not only ruining the collectible market for people who truly care and want to preserve their own piece of history, but the sites they are being dug up from are being destroyed. We may never know the historical value of the sites in which they are being found or what other pieces of history might be lost.

Klingan... coins range in price based on rarity, subject matter, quality, metal type, etc. A Brutus Eid Mar Aureus (gold) commemorating the death of Caesar could cost you a cool $250,000. some gold coin rough values

A nice silver denarius of a popular emperor (like Trajan for instance) might be had in the $100 range.

Thanks! I've been thinking about buying one, not very seriously though.

An increasingly common Constantinian era bronze (unfortunately because of massive Balkan state site looting) are literally becoming a dime a dozen and can be found for a few dollars. Unfortunately, the massive influx of these coins into the market is not only ruining the collectible market for people who truly care and want to preserve their own piece of history, but the sites they are being dug up from are being destroyed. We may never know the historical value of the sites in which they are being found or what other pieces of history might be lost.

This is of course worth thinking of. I would never buy a coin that wasn

Thanks

The shop is a retail outlet of Spinks - http://www.spink.com/home_page/index.asp - and I would suggest that you give them a call on 01904 654769, firstly checking that you are talking to the shop and not the auctioneers. I am sure that, if my memory serves, they had a wide selection including some at quite reasonable costs.

Spinks are international auctioneers and browsing their website will give the impression that there is virtually nothing available for under

Edited by marcus silanus

Thanks

Although I don't collect coins, I do enjoy the study of numismatics, including coins. As previously answered, Ancient Roman coin values can range from just a few dollars to thousands.

I recommend one learns about coins before spending too much money. There are way too many forgeries and counterfeits. The old adage in coin collecting is "buy the book before the coin." That means, learn about coins before investing (wasting) any money.

Remember, only buy coins from reputable dealers (most with guarantees) if you are going to spend any serious money until you learn a lot more about coins.

I like this site for my Ancient coin research and needs:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/

Also, remember that collecting Ancient coins can be addicting and bad for your wallet and marriage. :blink:

To the higher ups on UNRV: Please consider creating a separate heading for Ancient Roman Numismatics (possibly under the heading of Romana Humanitas). I think this new section would create a greater interest in Ancient Roman culture.

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

In addition to the previous prudent advices, you may want to try to become a virtual collector first; ie, just images, explanations and allied virtual stuff.

That is quite friendly to wallet and marriage, even if addictive.

In that way, some insights into numismatics can be acquired (even without infringing copyright rules) before even trying the real coinware.

Thanks

The shop is a retail outlet of Spinks - http://www.spink.com/home_page/index.asp - and I would suggest that you give them a call on 01904 654769, firstly checking that you are talking to the shop and not the auctioneers. I am sure that, if my memory serves, they had a wide selection including some at quite reasonable costs.

Spinks are international auctioneers and browsing their website will give the impression that there is virtually nothing available for under

Here is an interesting article on some coins, genuine and forgeries, of the Emperor Julian (the Apostate).

http://rg.ancients.info/constantine/Julian_II_other.html

There are forgeries in the world of Ancient antiquities. That said, one can buy from a reputable source a nice authenticated and guaranteed Julian for under $100.

What is your price range?

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy