UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gaius Paulinus Maximus

You can't beat Amazon!!

Today I was looking through the bookshelves of my local Waterstones book store and I came across a book that I hadn't seen before called Et Tu Brute?: Caesar's murder and political assassination by Greg Woolf. I've read numerous books on this particular subject but am always on the look out for a new take on this monumental event in Roman history. I was in the process of proceeding to the checkout when I thought it best to check the price first, the inside cover told me that it was selling for

yes you can!

I will order books from Chapters-Indigo rather than Amazon.ca.

prices are similar, (I know selection is larger in Amazon), but service and delivery times are better with Chapters. at least in Canada.

btw the book you speak of, at both online stores is only in hardcover and about 18 CAD . You will have to tell me if it is worth a peak.

Edited by Artimi

yes you can!

prices are similar, (I know selection is larger in Amazon), but service and delivery times are better with Chapters. at least in Canada.

btw the book you speak of, at both online stores is only in hardcover and about 18 CAD . You will have to tell me if it is worth a peak.

Ahh yes Artimi but you're in Canada and I'm in the UK so the P&P would be astronomical!!!! :(

Of course I'll let you know how the book shapes up!!

yes you can!

Ahh yes Artimi but you're in Canada and I'm in the UK so the P&P would be astronomical!!!! :(

Of course I'll let you know how the book shapes up!!

I typically flip between B&N and Amazon, but also check Alibris and Abebooks, as well as Amazon.UK for the really hard to find (at least in Oklahoma.)

Doc

I immediately did my best Michael Jackson impression and moon walked all the way back to the shelf and put the book back.

;)

Still Amazon is very good especially if you use market place. I sometimes get perfect quality books for as little as 1p (not counting delivery prices of course). I recently got a hold of a book on Ancient Greece for a very cheap price from marketplace.

I immediately did my best Michael Jackson impression and moon walked all the way back to the shelf and put the book back.

;)

Still Amazon is very good especially if you use market place. I sometimes get perfect quality books for as little as 1p (not counting delivery prices of course). I recently got a hold of a book on Ancient Greece for a very cheap price from marketplace.

I've picked some amazing bargains in the past too, both in the marketplace and brand new, some of the books I've got from the marketplace have been in perfect condition too.

The rise of Amazon and other online bookstores must have really put a serious dent in the profits of the big retail chains.

90% of the time I find it cheapest on Amazon. A new book typically costs 10-25% cheaper than in retail stores, and its free shipping over $25.

The marketplace is indeed hard to beat for cheap, used books in reasonable condition.

The book was pretty good really, no new revelations or anything like that, it focused mainly on the effect and the aftermath of the assassination of Caesar had on Rome and whether it actually really achieved anything in the long run. It deals with the questions of tyranny and political assassination through out the ages.

All in all a pretty decent book but I'm glad I didn't pay the full asking price.