UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Durocornovium

caldrail

Just added a new article to Wikipedia. It's a shame there's no plans to open the area to public display (especially as it's been threatened by projected housing development), so to illustrate the area please enjoy the following link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durocornovium

Just added a new article to Wikipedia. It's a shame there's no plans to open the area to public display (especially as it's been threatened by projected housing development), so to illustrate the area please enjoy the following link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durocornovium

Thank you for this. Durocornovium has come up alot in the books I'm reading at the present, and now I have a better idea of how to pronounce it! Very interesting information.

Do you have any pictures from the site?

Great job with the article by the way!

Edited by Klingan

Aerial pictures are the most illustrative. There are some kicking around, such as views of the mansio, the granary, and associated field systems, but I don't have access (or publishing rights) to those images. I did take some photos from the road bridge last year. Unfortunately, the foliage, lay of the land, and ambient sunlight made for some very dull and uninformative photos.

The article does need illustration however and I'll be adding to it in due course.

Nice article, Calders. The name is inded an enigma, as it seems to implicate two tribes that weren't in the immediate vicinity.

Strictly speaking this was a frontier area between british tribes (Dobunni, Belgae, and the apparently dominant Atrebates). Since the name refers to a fortifies place in celtic phraseology, it might be that the fort was Celtic, not Roman. Certainly there are hillforts nearby (Liddington is only four miles south and very evident, being the highest point in Wiltshire). There doesn't seem to be any evidence of native forts in the immediate vicinity of the site, and given the relatively flat land thereabouts, one might be forgiven for assuming the place was named after Liddington hillfort looming in the distance, which would have been (and actually still is) a visible landmark.

durocornovium1.jpg

View From the Roof of the Temple

This is Durocornovium today, a southeast view from where the temple is thought to have stood. The modern dual carriageway turns south along the Roman road to Cunetio, a minor route in those days, whilst the main Roman road to Calleva is now a country lane off the left hand side of the photo. In the distance is Liddington Hill, the highest place in Wiltshire, and you can easily make out the ramparts on the right hand side. On the right of the photo is the outskirts of modern Swindon, on land that the Romans apparently never developed. The cemetary for Durocornovium was situated over there too, a little further away.

I notice that the 'DVRO' Roman place name element crops up all over southern and central Britain, so as you say, may have no link to the tribe of the Durotriges.