UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Going to Athens

Klingan

Well, as the topic title let you know, I'll be going to Athens soon (next Saturday to be precise), and I would just like to let you know that I don't know how my internet access will work down there - I might be more or less gone for a few months (or I might be a pain in the ass uploading pictures all the time). Do not fear, I'll be back. :)

And, when talking about pictures, if anyone know an object or ruin they would like to have a picture of, no matter why you need it or how small or insignificant the motif is, just let me know. I managed to get a few specifically asked for shots last year and I'm sure that I'll handle it again, even if I'm not having internet where I'll live.

Excellent, Klingan!

I got stuck in Athens in January 2002 on my way to Belgium. I was flying in from Johannesburg and was supposed to stop over in Athens before getting a connecting flight to Brussels. We did land safely but after that all flights were cancelled because they had had a freak snow storm (I heard they hadn't experienced anything like it in 40 years). So I was stranded for 2 days and I promise you, it looked more like Stockholm than a Mediterranean city hehe. Since I had time to kill, I went to see the Acropolis, but couldn't go all the way to the top because it was covered in snow and the path was too icy. Really surreal. :)

Anyway, safe journey and enjoy your stay.

Edited by Aurelia

Well, as the topic title let you know, I'll be going to Athens soon (next Saturday to be precise), and I would just like to let you know that I don't know how my internet access will work down there - I might be more or less gone for a few months (or I might be a pain in the ass uploading pictures all the time). Do not fear, I'll be back. :)

And, when talking about pictures, if anyone know an object or ruin they would like to have a picture of, no matter why you need it or how small or insignificant the motif is, just let me know. I managed to get a few specifically asked for shots last year and I'm sure that I'll handle it again, even if I'm not having internet where I'll live.

Very jealous. Have a good and safe trip.

Very nice!

Lots of things to see and to do there beside eating gyros, souvlaki and drinking Metaxa. They say retsina it's how the ancient wine tasted maybe as an excuse for it's terrible ouzo/toothpaste like aftertaste. Maybe adding seawater will make it better...

Have lots of fun!

I'd like a picture of your dancing at the Parthenon, like Isadora Duncan. Then I can vicariously live my desire to visit Athens through you. :)

Have a great trip, Klingan! You sure do get around!

-- Nephele

Pictures of the forum appreciated; they kicked us all out way before closing time when I was there. Can you get to Delos island... fantastic archeology!

Drink sour cherry soda (fancy louix brand), eat sour cherry sorbet, but watch for pickpockets.

The Roman Agora? Or the original one? Oh well, doesn't mater to much, I will take lots of pictures at both sites :)

I'd like a picture of your dancing at the Parthenon, like Isadora Duncan. Then I can vicariously live my desire to visit Athens through you. :)

Have a great trip, Klingan! You sure do get around!

-- Nephele

Haha I'll try to do that :)

Thanks everyone for you comments by the way.

Make sure to visit places like the little known site of the Amphiaireon of Oropos... such a delightfull place ! Also please do take some pictures of the 4th century attic fortress for I have not been able to visit those during my last trip (i had also been unable to visit eleusis). And if you take a week end off for a boat trip to some greek city of the turkish coast please also share, especially if it's hot and sunny :huh: have a good trip !

I'll see what I can do BH! The Turkish coast might be tricky thou.

Anyway, I'm off the internet from now, until I get to Athens. Cya later!