UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The all purpose pocket knife

Roman 'army' knife

and I thought having a Swiss Army Knife was something!!

I sent the link to my nephew. He will get a kick out of seeing this ancient Swiss Army Knife, thanks for posting it Artimi. Do you suppose the "wealthy traveler" dropped it and lost the knife or was it stolen from him? Makes one really imagine doesn't it? I don't think the article mentioned where it was found.

I'm not sure if I agree with the description of this tool in the opening line of the article as revealing 'The world's first Swiss Army knife'.

Roman 'penknives' have long been known but if I remember correctly the Verulamium Museum at St Albans discovered and have had on display for several years now a similar 'multitool' with at least 2 or 3 different 'functions during excavations there.

Admittedly I can't remember to which period it was dated or when it was found but if my memory serves me well the St Alban's multi-tool is made mainly of iron so has not survived as well as this latest partially silver tool seems to have done. It does however indicates that the latest find is not unique and if as seems probable other museums contain similar multi-functional tools puts some doubt as to which, if any, could be construed as the 'prototype' of the modern Swiss Army Knife.

Edited by Melvadius