UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
GhostOfClayton

What's the last thing you saw/heard/played etc. ?

Currently reading "The Hobbit" (yeah, better late than never).

I picked that up when I was 23. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

After the first 3 chapters I decided the book and I were not going to get along at all. I still don't see what all the fuss about Tolkien is about.

Well, I was 15 the first time I picked it up and didn't get very far. I'm not really into fantasy novels but since I really enjoyed the LOTR movie adaptations, I thought I'd try the Hobbit again before deciding whether or not I should venture any further.

Last film I saw was Joyeux Noel, a French film about the Christmas truce of World War 1, The last game I played was the Sci-fi shooter Half Life 2 (I'm still stuck on one level), I'm currently reading my way through Arms and Armour of the Imperial Roman Soldier by Raffaele D'Amato and Graham Sumner.

Hey, I thought this thread was about Roman-related things we have recently seen, read, etc. ;)

Btw, have also seen "The King's Speech" and fully agree.

Hey, I thought this thread was about Roman-related things we have recently seen, read, etc. ;)

Btw, have also seen "The King's Speech" and fully agree.

I just watched The King's Speech. It was very good.

I finally bought Branagh's 4 hour version of Hamlet.

Oh my gods, it was horrible. Kenneth plays Hamlet like he is on crack. I couldn't make it through the 1st disk.

So what was the last Roman related:

TV programme you watched?

Film you saw?

Radio programme you listened to?

Podcast you downloaded?

TV documentaries of Rome seem to have dried up, but I caught a great repeat from Smithsonian channel I missed the first time http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/site/sn/show.do?episode=137533#video that made gladiators seem more interesting than ever before.

Let's see, I heard some terrible Roman podcast that made me swear off amateur historians. Longer ago viewed the Yale course on Roman Architecture (search for OYC or open yale course) which dwelled a bit much on terminology, but can't complain about free..

This is good one from the UK. I downloaded it from U Tunes University. But it should be available directly from:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/classics/podcast/

The University of Warwick, Classics in Discussion Podcasts:

Nine topics, from "Drinking Parties in Ancient Greece" through "Numismatics.'

The discussion on "Arab/Greek Studies" was fascinating. Also "Sex in the Ancient World."

I watched yesterday The Guard, best politically incorrect movie of the year, by a mile... :)

Look's good. Might have a look on Amazon.

I watched yesterday The Guard, best politically incorrect movie of the year, by a mile... :)

lol, if the whole movie is like this................lol