UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
GhostOfClayton

What's the last thing you saw/heard/played etc. ?

I rewatched The Blair Witch. I don't care what anyone says: I liked it. I thought it was original for its day, something different than the tired old formulas from Hollywood.

Of course, the sequel sucked.

Since getting Netflix, I have been hooked on MI5. I sure hope it ends soon.

Yikes, thre season 9 not yet on Netflix and then season 10 which in theory ends the whole thing.

Agora. It is the story of Hypatia and the loss of the Library at Alexandria.

They give her scientific discoveries that we don't know she made. But try to diminish the horror of her death. Artistic license if it can't be disproved and it helps the story toss it in. It is worth watching. Hypatia has been a hero of many people including Carl Sagan. In her time she was famous as philosopher, scientist, and teacher, she was also reputed to be beautiful. The movie shows the disintegration of order in the empire and the rise of religious fanaticism.

Chelmsford 123!

TV program you watched? Rome

Film you saw? Caesar and Cleopatra

Game you played? Rome: Total War

I've been watching Ancient Roman themed films at least once a day. Last night I watched the 1960 Spartacus for the first time, and I'm looking for more Roman movies to watch. I found a nifty wikipedia article that lists all the films in order of time period so I can watch as many as I please. I'm probably not going to watch any below 1940, though, and certainly I won't watch any silent films.

As for games, I've been addicted to Roman themed games too. Before Rome: Total War I've been playing a mod for Mount and Blade Warband that sets the game in Britannia and Hibernia, and lets you command your own century as a centurion, and build up an even bigger army if you'd like.

TV program you watched? Rome

Film you saw? Caesar and Cleopatra

Game you played? Rome: Total War

I've been watching Ancient Roman themed films at least once a day. Last night I watched the 1960 Spartacus for the first time, and I'm looking for more Roman movies to watch. I found a nifty wikipedia article that lists all the films in order of time period so I can watch as many as I please. I'm probably not going to watch any below 1940, though, and certainly I won't watch any silent films.

As for games, I've been addicted to Roman themed games too. Before Rome: Total War I've been playing a mod for Mount and Blade Warband that sets the game in Britannia and Hibernia, and lets you command your own century as a centurion, and build up an even bigger army if you'd like.

Have a look at this thread. Also, a link to that Wiki would be much appreciated.

I've spent the last 2 weeks watching a DVD collection of Farscape.

Farscape was a cult Sci-Fi hit 10 years ago. I caught episodes here and there and thought it was ok. But watching all the episodes back to back on DVD has really made me appreciate it.

Agora. It is the story of Hypatia and the loss of the Library at Alexandria.

They give her scientific discoveries that we don't know she made. But try to diminish the horror of her death. Artistic license if it can't be disproved and it helps the story toss it in. It is worth watching. Hypatia has been a hero of many people including Carl Sagan. In her time she was famous as philosopher, scientist, and teacher, she was also reputed to be beautiful. The movie shows the disintegration of order in the empire and the rise of religious fanaticism.

Awesome movie, Ursus made a wonderful review of it

http://www.unrv.com/book-review/agora-dvd.php (one of my favourite reviews of his many)

Personally i just started watching Mad Men http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Men

I dont know what it is about this series, nothing much happend in a time period and setting I dont really care about (60s in New York),

but somehow each episode catches my full attention and I cant wait for the next one, just awesome...

"I, Claudius" on Utube. Still one of the best shows ever. Stellar acting and story telling, even tho most of it is just a "story"; but great none the less. John Hurt as Caligula, "You don't want to go in there". Messalina, "Not my head!not my head!"

I've spent the last 2 weeks watching a DVD collection of Farscape.

Farscape was a cult Sci-Fi hit 10 years ago. I caught episodes here and there and thought it was ok. But watching all the episodes back to back on DVD has really made me appreciate it.

I really enjoyed watching Farscape first time round, I didnt get to see all the episodes. One day.

Okay... Let's see...

Last TV program? As of last night it was American Dad. Not my favourite of course. It just happened to be on before I went to bed.

Films... That's difficult because I rasrely watch a film all the way through now. Tora Tora Tora has to be the last one I saw completely through I think. Wooden as heck and the first half induces a sense of induced coma, but the battle scenes are first rate and much more realistic than the special effects laden modern version, in no small part due to the replica japanese aeroplanes used in the filming.

Radio? Well the only radio I listen to now is classic rock. Popular music these days is just incomprehensibly awful. But hey, you get old sooner or later. Rock on.

Podcast? What's that?

The last game I played was Armed Assault. I'm pretty useless at it really, getting shot the moment combat starts, but the editor is so good I just love setting up missions. There is an add-on from czechoslovakia which creates a sort of articial war - that kind of works for me, rather like an offline multiplayer game.

Last piece of roman reporduction clothing I wore... Erm... Guys, I hate to break it to you, but isn't Roman fashion a little out of date?

last Roman related:

Good question's but not necessarily ones I have appropriate answers to:

TV programme - if we discount the fairly recent 'modern' Rome set series 'Zen' then it probably would be one of the Time Team repeats or else a factual documentary about Roman related archaeology.

Radio programme - I caught snippets of one of the Lyndsey Davis 'Falco' series but since I don't really listen to radio I can't remember which one

Podcast - I'm with Caldrail here

Game - Probably Civilization IV comes the closest to this since it doesd include Romans and Byzantines amongst the 'race' options.

Roman reproduction clothing - I still have my full military outfit from my re-enacting days. :romansoldier: