UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

One Hour In Rome!

Guest spartacus

Guest spartacus

Time for a bit of fantasy methinks! :rolleyes:

IF you could go back in time to Roman times and spend one hour, at any place of your choosing - where would you go and why?

For my hour it would have to be at the Battle of Zama, it would have been spectacular to watch !

and to see Hannibal and Scipio Africanus, two great commanders!

All from a safe distance of course :D

Guest spartacus

I read somewhere it was in a forest, and there was evidence of skeletons and roman goods found, if my memory serves me correctly it may be called tuterbourg or something like that!

That is if we are both on about the same disaster where two legions were slaughtered!

As for colours, yes that would be interesting!

There's a lot of contention over the site of the Varus Disaster. Teutoberger Wald near Detmold has been long held to be the location. But, Kalkriese has become another hot favourite, as proposed by Major Tony Clunn, but hotly contested by Dan Peterson. The RAT forums have been overheating a bit :rolleyes: including posts from the above two.

RAT Kalkriese

For my opinion on tunic colours, see it here, it could be any or one of them so far as I'm concerned:

:DOh so unfashionable me!

Jim.

I would love to see the Legions in action (probably need more than a hour),or even just to see them marching by would be impressive.L

I take it you dont like him then!  <_<

He was no more of a red-handed maniac than other powerful men of that age. :lol:

Mainly I would see him dead so that Augustus could have his day without Julius keeping him down, or even possibly eliminating him when Augustus starts to have supporters.

History must roll.....

I would just like to spend some time walking through Rome, especially to admire the magnificent architecture. I would also like to go see the temples, a forum, etc and see what the Imperial palace looked like. I would probaly get to see some Praetorian Guards strutting menacingly around the streets.

I would also like to go see a race at the Circus and quickly watch a gladiatorial fight at the (gasp!) Coliseum. I would be interested to hear how the people spoke Latin and also to see how the Romans looked and if they differed (visually) from central Italians. I would also like the oppurtunity to see a Legionary but that would probably be unlikely in Rome.