UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Sites

Guest spartacus

Guest spartacus

I was wondering if any users live near a Roman site?

I live 5 miles west of Manchester and in Castlefield ( manchester city centre ) there is the site of a Roman fort

The remains are in stone but originally it was of a wooden constuction

It was built by Julias Agricola and his invading Legions in AD70 and was then called Mamuciam

It was garrisoned by soldiers from Spain and Romania

The site now has a visitor centre and is well worth a visit, its location is on Fort Street (aptly named!)

Do you live near a Roman site?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest spartacus

Hi Longbow

I have visited the wall several times, once I stopped there as it was on my route from Carlisle to Newcastle with my Truck and sat on the wall to eat my lunch ! :P

Its a fine example of Roman defence construction and it gives you a real sense of history

Yup, Nijmegen (Netherlands) was the Roman city of Ulpia Noviomagus. The city now spraw;s pverf both the Roman town and Batavodurum, the capital of the Batavians. 2000 years of dense population haven't left much standing though.

Jasper

i live in Australia..... So i dont like my chances :P

But my family is from Italy.... i always wondered about the history of the small town mt father and family are from...

It's in Abruzzi, on the east coast, almost directly across from Rome...

Some years ago, under one of the main churches in the middle of town, they found an older church directly beneath it... Then recently they have found a pagan church/temple (i dont know their proper name) under the newly discovered church...

I always wonder how much history the place has.... All the old locals boast that their town is older than Rome (i dont know what definition they are going by though)...and there are so many local slang/dialect sayings that you have to think can be linked a long way back...

I'd love to do a study on it somehow...but have no idea where to start... I'd also love to dig somewhere and find something too.. ;)