UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Welcome and Introduce Yourself Here

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I am an author working on the second act of my third Oz Book. In this act, a civilization was founded by soldiers under Liberious and several dozen priests from North Africa in the year 552. By the time of the events in Act 2, it is the year 2030/2031 and the society has split with the Kingdom of Mandoria and the Republic of Mandoria.

I consider my works "hard science/fantasy" in which the physics for things like spaceflight is ironclad and the people groups are accurate. 

I am looking forward to discussions here.

Very respectfully,

James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon — thanks for having me.

I wonder if you could help me? I produce the newsletter for the Roman Antiquities Section of the Yorkshire Archaeological and Historical Society — Roman Yorkshire, which, contrary to the title, covers the whole of Britannia. If anyone comes across Roman news from Britain, including archaeology, I'd love to hear from you. No doubt you can do that from the forum: if it's a problem (I'm new here, after all) you can email me at yahs.ras.editor@gmail.com.

Cheers all!

David

On 8/24/2022 at 7:57 AM, David Brear said:

If anyone comes across Roman news from Britain, including archaeology, I'd love to hear from you. No doubt you can do that from the forum:

David: Welcome. I try to post up-to-date news about Britain archaeology in the sub forum “Archaeology News: Britain and Roman-Britain.” 

Please also consider posting.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello all,

I took two semesters of Roman history at Va Tech in the late 80s.  Dr Glen Bugh taught both classes and Rome has been an academic hobby ever since.  I passed the bug on to my oldes son as well.

Currently, I find myself in academia once again as an internal auditor for Radford University.  I am working on a presentation using the Roman military as a vehicle for discussing the Capability Maturity Model which is used in business and IT all over the world.  My co-author and I are hoping to present at an IT conference in NC this coming October.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for creating this website.   My name is Sean and for years I’ve read anything I can find about the Roman Empire particularly of the 3rd century.   Initially I was drawn to Philip the Arabian but the scholarship on him is so thin as to preclude any deep insight into the man or his reign.  Through my dear friend the late Michael Marx of Chicago I amassed a fairly sizable collection of Philip’s coinage.  Any comments regarding Philip or his era would be welcome.  Again thank you

On 8/19/2023 at 4:35 AM, diogenes67024 said:

My name is Sean and for years I’ve read anything I can find about the Roman Empire particularly of the 3rd century.   Initially I was drawn to Philip the Arabian but the scholarship on him is so thin as to preclude any deep insight into the man or his reign.  Through my dear friend the late Michael Marx of Chicago I amassed a fairly sizable collection of Philip’s coinage.  Any comments regarding Philip or his era would be welcome.

This is a wonderful time to be delving into the more confusing Crisis of the Third Century in Roman history. There are now many resources (including UNRV) to use. YouTube is filled with great work on the period, also.

Fortunately, your numismatic interest is in the coinage of Philip the Arab. Coins related to him and his reign are diverse and surprisingly affordable. Good luck in your endeavors and please share any research with us.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Rosie and I'm riveted by Roman history from Romulus to the Rubicon and beyond... But mainly I'm a huge stan of Pompey the Great. Him and his adept, seriously overlooked and much maligned son Sextus. I'm actually writing some novels about Gnaeus, Sextus, and Pompeia (the daughter of Sextus not to be confused with his sister of the same name) 

I come to not praise Augustus but to bury him and his blatant propaganda that still affects us to this day! 

• Like 1

Welcome! I enjoy Roman historical novels (though not the one I read recently; the author has problems when two of the protagonists are such awful people that the reader can't wait until the last chapter or two when they die).

• 2 months later...

Hello. Another newbie here.  I live in Indiana in the US but hope to relocate somewhere one day when I retire.

I developed an interest in ancient Rome after watching the old Rome series on HBO, then all 3 seasons of Brittania, and Barbarians I and II on Netflix.  I have also watched and read up on the Vikings and Saxons etc.

I am currently reading novels about ancient Rome by Vincent B Davis II on Kindle.

I am 64 and have always been interested in history.  Lately I find myself more interested in the ancient world. I look forward to being here and studying the different topics.