UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
  • Time Travel Rome

Sign in to follow this  
kotik

Romans On The Crimean Peninsula.

I have many times seen on maps of the roman empire that the crimean peninsula was part of it, but there is nothing about it on this page.

Now were can I find some info about romans in the crimean peninsula?

The Romans never quite stretched all the way to the Crimean (Tauris) for any long, extended stay. It was home to various Scythian/Sarmatian tribes.

The problem with the article is that it stresses the subject title, Roman Crimea. As Primus Pilus pointed out previously the area was never under secure occupation and represents a marginal frontier region. The article rather gives the impression of something more permanent (as articles often tend to favour pro-Roman arguments). I can't see anything actually wwrong with the information - just don't get carried away with assumptions.

There were Greek cities in the Crimea and Taman peninsula as early as the 7th century BC. Diodorus Siculus says there was a kingdom which united several of them around 480BC.  It was conquered by Mithridates VI of Pontus and became a Roman client kingdom after his death in 63BC, sometimes with Roman troops for support.  Was it ever an actual Roman province?  There is a little info in the WIKIPEDIA article on "Cimmerian Bosphorus".

Yes. The Crimea, or Taurica as it was known, was added to the province of Lower Moesia after Nero set a military expedition loose in that area, though his death brought the campaign to a halt.