UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Book Club

Guest Scanderbeg

Guest Scanderbeg

I don't know whether anyone broughts this up before but I thought it would be a cool idea if we had a book club in our media section. Every month or so someone proposes a book(probably surrounding the Roman Empire but not limited to) and people vote on it or something else propsed by someone else and at the end of the month we have a discussion about it.

And someday... though I highly doubt it... I would love to have enough forum members that we could actually qualify for a volume discount to buy books for those members. That would certainly make the book club an even better idea. Oh well, perhaps some day in the future.

Guest Scanderbeg

Umm... Oh wow. I really didn't expect it to start so soon. Anyway Im about to start reading Conquest of Gaul

soon so ill propose the book and see what others say.

Guest Scanderbeg

Okay i first posted this at the suggestion forum and was given an okay. I was thinking of starting a book club here. Every month we vote on a book proposed by members. Whichever gets the most votes becomes the one we read. Anyone who wants to join in can at anytime so feel free to add opinions and suggestions. At the end of a month we discuss the book. While we will obviously focus on the Roman world, but we will not be limited to it.

Anyway ill start it off with a proposition. Im going to read this book now anyway so if this fails or succeeds won't really have that much of an affect.

The book I propose is the Conquest of Gaul

I have this version

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0140444335...866#reader-link

The book is about 250 pages and has moderate size words for those who will need the time to pick this up from their local library or other book place and start, plus we are well in march and have yet to vote.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Scanderbeg

Well I finished the book today. It took me longer then I thought it would but I had a lot to do these past weeks.

Anyway I had fun with it. Not as much of fun that I thought it would be reading. I have to say I really admire Vercingetorix. The guy was definately great man in my eyes. Fought till the end for his people and when defeated, he didn't try to run or anything. He faced his nemesis and said he was responsible. Amazing that he united his entire people under the circumstances they were in and gave Caesar a hell of a time. had it not been Caesar there but another, more generic, general. I bet Vercingetorix would have succeeded....for a time ofcourse.

• 2 weeks later...