UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Klingan

Viva Roma No. V (Mambo #5)

Roman history in threeish minutes.

I went through their catalog on YouTube...very nice work!

Very nice!

And here is a Punk-Rock version of Catullus fifth poem (in Latin!), a very nice preform.

They made <...> statues so real

In every detail

Not like the Greek ideal

More support of my favorite issue - Roman sculpture as not derivative from the Greek. I have only gotten polite skepticism on this point here, and I have only recently heard it supported from a set of lectures that I posted about earlier. They said that Roman sculpture derived from death mask practices, and this realism was followed regardless if a Greek was actually doing the sculpture for them.

I think Roman sculpture is the hook to adoring Roman culture. Their engineering is impressive to ones intellect, but their reflective, nonchalant, non theatrical, non egoistic sculpture has soul and gravitas. All history's sculpture before and after seems to be false posing in comparison. Engineering and sculpture is all we concretely (!) know of the Romans - their writings may contain more or less fiction I think.

I really like these videos, they've also done plenty of others on Classical history including- Julius Caesar, Cleopatra (Pharaohlicious), Hannibal, Attila the Hun, Constantine, Gladiator, Pompeii, Macedonia, Empress Theodora, the Trojan War, the Odyssey, Greek Philosophers, and a couple of others I'm sure I've missed out on. it's nice to see they're giving some good attention to ancient history as well as more modern events.

I'm loving the Mambo#5 video, Klingan. Had this lady been the 13-year-old GhostOfClayton's history teacher, I'd be telling you lot all about Ancient Rome by now, rather than the other way round.