UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Huic Scio

Request for Official Backup

Recently I attented a camp for teenagers where the motto was "to give and to serve." You were awarded points for saying this and what they beleived was the Latin for this, "Ad dare servire." I have taken high school Latin for two years and know that their Latin grammar is most incorrect, saying "Towards to give to serve." I have brought this topic up with my latin teacher and he agrees with me. My question to you is this: Will any of you with college or grad degrees write a short paper that states your expertise with the latin language and let them know the epic wrongness of their grammar? I wish to have this rectified soon, for it is a pet peeve when people try to act smart when in actuality they have no idea what they are talking about.

I may be wrong, but I think the right way to say the motto would be: "Dare et Servire" Please correct me if I am wrong.

Even using my very meagre Latin, which I pretty much learned here on UNRV (satis cerevisiae emere) I saw straight away that "Ad dare servire" was the kind of Latin that comes straight out the back of an online translation tool.

I hope one of the folks here can help you out. There's nothing better than to be proved a culus cognoscentum.

By the way, would this thread sit better in 'Lingua Latina'?

Topic moved.