UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Excellent Article about Library of Alexandria

Viggen

The loss of the library was immeasurable at the time. Its final destruction occuring not long before the fall of western Rome, it certainly played its own small part in ushering the dark ages of western Europe.

Even today, while the scientific knowledge has been replaced and improved, the historical record and holes in time that the lost scrolls could provide is a tragedy.

• 1 month later...

History shows that often sometimes unexpected shows up. So the hope remains that we will find something that remaind. I mean remember the ice men (Oetzi) they found in the alps a couple of years back. One find and the lots of the histoy of the alpine bronze age had to be rewritten. Maybe there are some pieces left waiting to be found.

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The burning of any historical documents is a catastrophic occurance, cultural history is of utmost importance in the development of the people we are today. Knowledge of the past is something to be passed on and cherished, its depressing to know that such valuable and insightful ancient knowledge has been lost to us.

• 7 months later...

I missed this earlier - actually, the Chinese had their book burning well before the Cultural Revolution - way back in 540-541 auc (212-213 BCE) by the first emporer of united China Qin Shi Huang.

Uh-oh, I just realized that the last post was in January 2005 not January 2006! Mea culpa!!!

Edited by Q Valerius Scerio