UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Papal Election

Fatboy

Who do y'all fancy as the next Pope?

I'm going for Tettamanzi.

Ratzinger seems to be the favourite but he is now being unfairly exposed as a former Hitler youth on top of his already harsh reputation. Tettamanzi seems to be the candidate of the real anti-Ratzinger Cardinals so he may get a lot of the votes intended for the other Italians if he is seen as the only realistic competitor to him. He's reasonably old, which fits the " short pontificate " theory that seems to hold sway, and his inoffensive looks and happy harmless image would be helpfull to avoid any impression of trying to " follow " John Paul. A "Pope Lite" with a short reign to help everybody deal with the fact that John Paul is gone.

He is quite progressive though, which might help his popularity the people but probably not with a lot of the Cardinals. If not him some Italian - maybe Batista re.

I agree, unless someone else is voted (or even Ratzinger himself decides to use his votes on someone else) I think Tettamanzi is the only one competitor. On the other hand Ratzinger is more influent..hmm..so far the smoke coming out was black, meaning that no decision has been taken yet. Only time will tell.

-----------------------

Edit - Habemus Papam..Ratzinger

:blink:  :unsure:  :blink:  :stupid: 

And he Desserted!

He gave his all to a great german chocolate bunt cake? :lol:

One "s", okay? ;)

Personally, I think he is a good choice. As far as his past, look at his age:

14 - forced into Hitler Youth after family moved several times due to father's opposition to the brown shirts and his mother taken away to a camp.

16- Guard and anti-aircraft crew member in BMW plant.

17- Made regular army and surrendered himself to Allies at first opportunity, sat out rest of war in POW camp.

I can't say I'd have been able to do better in that situation.

Besides, John Paul II was active in resisting the Nazis and he had much more time knowing and befriending Benedict XVI than the rest of the world. Maybe there's something to this guy people aren't quite getting.

I haven't seen the world in such hysterics since ... well, since Bush was reelected.

I know a lot of people who think the Inquisitions have returned. Jeesh. Most of these people aren't Catholic and many aren't even Christian, so I ask them why they even care what he thinks. It's all politics, I guess. The Western world seems to have gotten a bit "conservative" since 9-11-01, and some groups seem to be in absolute hysterics and histrionics over it.

Personally, not being Catholic I really don't care one way or the other. Congratulations to Cardinal Ratzinger. May you imbue the ancient title of Pontifex Maximus with honor.

I do find the Nazi thing overblown. It seems like no one who is German can escape that stigma. And usually the insults are thrown by types who otherwise decry stereotypes and labeling people. Eh. Hypocrisy.

But people are comparing this guy to Senator/ Emperor Palpatine from "Star Wars." "Papaltine" they are calling him. I admit I did get a chuckle out of that because he does kind of look like him. He has the misfortune of coming to power right before the launch of the last great Star Wars orgy...

I do find the Nazi thing overblown. It seems like no one who is German can escape that stigma. And usually the insults are thrown by types who otherwise decry stereotypes and labeling people. Eh. Hypocrisy.

Absolutely, somebody had to be the common soldier. Its a bit different than Gestapo or SS.