UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Raedarius

Centurions

I heard somewhere that Roman centurions served for life.I was wondering if it was true because I had heard elsewhere that they were allowed to retire. If someone could help me straighten this out I would really appreciate it.

There was no requirement for centurions to retire. There is one record of a serving centurion aged 80, but that must be something exceptional given the period, and although their experience was valued as leaders and trainers in the legions, most would at some point opt for a quieter old age. However I should point out that the casualty rate for centurions was higher than a typical legionary on average, mostly because they led from the front, but also in a minority of cases because they were obvious targets for retaliation in mutinies, but again, I stress this was a very rare event.

However I should point out that the casualty rate for centurions was higher than a typical legionary on average, mostly because they led from the front, but also in a minority of cases because they were obvious targets for retaliation in mutinies, but again, I stress this was a very rare event.

Not to mention the (probably) obvious temptation to kill an easily visible enemy leader in the front lines - a good way not only to win personal glory but also to disrupt the efficiency of the legions.

Further on, I quote my own summary of Caesars report from the battle of Gergovia:

Caesar also notes that almost 700 men were killed during the action, among them 46 centurions.

A very high casualty rate in comparison, considering that there was only one centurion on roughly 80 men (should have been less than 10 by if killed at random). Then again, the legions might very well have been weakened at this stage of the campaign (fall), meaning that the pre-battle ratio between men and centurions might have been somewhat, but still far from, more even.

By the time of Domitian the length of service in the legions had settled at 25-26 years and a considerable donative was provided on retirement. But I don't believe there was a concept of "mandatory retirement", and many centurions would want to stay on as the pay was considerable. Some did retire however, and a primi pilus became an eques upon retirement. From there some went on to become tribunes in the vigiles, urban cohorts or praetorians, or to command of an auxiliary unit.

The length of service was already defined. However we know that legions in Pannonia during the reign of Augustus had kept men on for thirty or forty years plus active reserve duty, thus requiring of those men a life long service, which was not standard policy and hadn't been since Marius brought standing armies in being. Tacitus further hints that such things weren't exceptional. The issue might have a number of causes relating to recruitment and training, which far from being 'the best ever' as is usually stated, were not at an all time peak in Illyria at least.

The issue of taking out the commander is something we see where a soldier has the option to target him, so this has become particularly heightened in the firearm era, especially after aimed fire began to dominate group fire (which was not well aimed to begin with, and considering the musket was too inaccurate, often pointless). Note that ancient missile weapons, arrows, javelins, sling stones etc, all had the potential for aimed fire if the user was skilled, but that the use en masse tended to make aimed fire a secondary consideration.

In other words, fighting hand to hand in a large formation makes it unlikely that the commander was at any more risk than anyone else despite obvious recognition. Since battlefield commanders only started to become anonymous in the reign of the rifle, we can see historical evidence for this.

There is ione example of aimed fire at a commander that I can think of relating to the ancient world, though I cannot vouch for historical fidelity. In one battle, Julius Caesar ordered his men to advance upon the enemy Romans. They refused to budge, being somewhat exhausted and demoralised under campaign conditions. Caesar was furious. He demanded obedience. He threatened them with dire punishment if they didn't obey. He swore at them, describing them as poofs. No-one moved. Eventually Caesar grabbed a shield from the nearest legionary, drew his sword, and strode down the hill toward the enemy line, who clearly could not believe their luck. A volley of pila was aimed at him. Caesar stepped aside from some, took others on the shield (which I imagine he was unable to hold up further). In the silence that followed, Caesar beckoned his troops to follow him into battle - and they did.