UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Greatest Roman General

Who do you think was the greatest Roman general?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think was the greatest Roman general?

• Scipio Africanus
    • Gaius Marius
    • Lucius Cornelius Sulla
    • Julius Caesar
    • Octavian
    • Germanicus
    • Aurelian
    • Dioclietan
    • Constantine I
    • Other

Also Caeser is not way overrated hes definatly on the same level as Hannibal and Alexander however i would back Julius Caeser as a greater tactician out of those 3 anyday

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sulla was definetly different; a freak he could be called. He was a brilliant general and a cunning person, but he was perhaps a bit too unstable. Evil? Perhaps that's an accurate description, but in my opinion it's a bit strong...

Maybe so but you can definatly agree that he was not good for Rome. I mean i think it was 10 000 Romans he killed in Rome alone

Sulla was definetly different; a freak he could be called. He was a brilliant general and a cunning person, but he was perhaps a bit too unstable. Evil? Perhaps that's an accurate description, but in my opinion it's a bit strong...

Sulla was far from a freak, and he was certainly not unstable. Evil, nah. He did what he did because he believed senatorial control needed to be restored and implemented a number of constitutional reforms to further the senatorial cause. He did implement the proscriptions but the numbers were no where near 10K. The system of lists were abused by his aids to enrich themselves, hence the subsequent proscriptions after the initial one. Remember, roman politics was a series of precedents (Mos Maiorum) and it wasn't Sulla that set the precedents for the permenant ellimination of political enemies. The precedent that WAS set by Sulla was the taking of Rome via military force.

The best tactician was Scipio,but he knew nothing else.Overall Caesar is Da Grand Master of All Generals ever!

The best tactician was Scipio,but he knew nothing else.Overall Caesar is Da Grand Master of All Generals ever!

14289[/snapback]

Let me get this straight. You are saying that Scippio has no understanding of strategy? Please correct me if I misunderstand your earlier statement.

To quote Bram Stroker: "I have learned not to think little of any one's belief, no matter how strange it may be. I have tried to keep an open mind, and it is not the ordinary things of life that could close it, but the strange things, the extraordinary things, the things that make one doubt if they be mad or sane."

Of course, that point of view has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, so please excuse it :)