UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Greatest Roman General

Who do you think was the greatest Roman general?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think was the greatest Roman general?

• Scipio Africanus
    • Gaius Marius
    • Lucius Cornelius Sulla
    • Julius Caesar
    • Octavian
    • Germanicus
    • Aurelian
    • Dioclietan
    • Constantine I
    • Other

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went for Caesar. Based on what I know of Roman history, I am astonished that Germanicus hasn't got any votes. If the question had been "who was Romes greatest military leader" I would have picked Corbulo, for his triumph at Actium (I think it was Corbulo, but I have a nagging feeling that Corbulo may have been the guy that Nero forced to commit suicide. Maybe he did both actually). Anyway, I would have gone for the victor at Actium, whoever it was.

I went for Caesar. Based on what I know of Roman history, I am astonished that Germanicus hasn't got any votes. If the question had been "who was Romes greatest military leader" I would have picked Corbulo, for his triumph at Actium (I think it was Corbulo, but I have a nagging feeling that Corbulo may have been the guy that Nero forced to commit suicide. Maybe he did both actually). Anyway, I would have gone for the victor at Actium, whoever it was.

Corbulo did commit suicide upon reading his own death sentence from Nero. He had some atonishing success against the Armenians and Parthians. I'm with you on this one. Corbulo was a general's general. Soldiering and leading men seemed to be his passion and he did it well, garnmering respect and admiration from friend and foe alike.

But he wasn't on the list so Scipio it is.

I voted for Marius because his reforms made the Roman army a more professional force. Alot of people will just look at the combative side of a general, but they tend to forget being a general means being a good administrator and inovator.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Marius and Caesar combined probably formed much of what became the Roman Army in the last days of the Republic and the Empire. Caesar is by far one of the most talented, innovative and celebrated generals of all time, this was due to the fact that he used not only his charismatic persona, but he also utilised the ground to his advantage, he trained his troops well, knew his army back to front and were the strongest parts of the legion lay but a lot of his victories came through gut instinct, he thought like a general as well. Caesar's military prowess was unrivaled and his armies quite near to invincible.

Julius Caesar was the best general of all time, but, Marius was the one who started the reform and some credit must go to him, Julius Caesar conquered the whole of Gaul and became dictator for life and defeated Pompey another military genius!

What about Julian and Trajan?

Voted for Germanicus because I knew everyone had most likely voted for Caesar.

Voted for Germanicus because I knew everyone had most likely voted for Caesar.

So you are saying Germanicus was actually better than Caesar, or you just wanted to be different? :angry:

Im saying that I used my vote to encourage people to consider other possibilities and though I know I have not voted within the guidelines of the original question (I should have voted for GJC) I believe I have voted in a way that I feel is justified.

Im sure we have all seen plenty of polls where Caesar comes top of the generals list. Maybe a poll should be opened that excludes Caesar.... but then Scipio Africanus would probably win! :D

Maybe a poll on who had the greater gall.... I think Sulla would give Caesar a run for his money.... marching on Rome with a Roman army for the very first time, after this all other generals that marched on Rome were simply following down a path that Sulla had explored (Ive been reading "Sulla the Last Republican"). Sorry, this is off topic.