UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Worst Betrayal In Roman History

Princeps

The main reason I ask is because I have to write a 7000 word short storyfor an anthology called "The cold hand of betrayal". I have a couple of ideas, but whenever I write a story I usually try to find as many historical references as I can. Bear in mind that short stories need a twist, so I'd prefer scenarios where you don't instantly predict the outcome. I would also prefer well documented situations. Thanks for any help you guys can come up with.

Arminius performed a pretty well excecuted betrayal ! He was in the Legions as auxiliary cavalry, and was "Friends" with Varus prior to lureing him and three legions to the bloody massacre in the Tuetoburg wald.

What about the senate's betrayal of Fabian. Or was his time as consul up. I'm having a brain pinch right now. I just read a book on Hannibal too. Was he relieved for his lack of aggressiveness? It seemed to me he got now support for anyone, yet he was very effective in fighting Hannibal. More effective than anyone before him had been.