UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Armour

I have just realised that I posted this in the wrong topic instead of posting it here. I am trying to make up written accompaniments to use during our public displays. I am trying to trace the origins of the names of the armour used by legionnaries. Can anyone enlighten me as to where the armour was originally found and why is it called what we know it as? Thankyou

Thanks, very interesting but I obviously did not make myself clear enough. I would like to find out where the names of the items originated from or were written down and where they were first discovered.

The roman armour was called 'lorica segmenta' this explains itself, the segment which together made the lorica (body armour). Hope this helps. The latin name for the helmet was galea, i can't find any more on that though. ;)

Thanks for this information. I now wonder if anyone could possibly tell me the latin names of the armour/equipment etc. as I was never taught latin during my schooldays (many moons ago). Thanks

hm...off the top of my head:

Chainmail=lorica hamata

Segmented plate stuff (is there an english word??)=lorica segmenta or segmentata depending on who you ask

Roman shortsword=gladius

Javalin type thing=pilum

Roman dagger=pudgio (i may have spelled that wrong)

and that's all I can think of right now

Shield=scutum