UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
guy

Relax with the Roman Baths

A nice chill video:

Edited by guy

Loud. Romans complain in their writings about it.

Thank you for reading my post.

I think we forget that the Roman bath complex was really a combination of bath, spa, gym, library, community center, and food court. I would, therefore, expect the Roman bath complex to be a rowdy and crowded place.

Animated GIF

Seneca lived above a bath complex and had this to say in Moral Letters to Lucilius (56)

1. Beshrew me if I think anything more requisite than silence for a man who secludes himself in order to study! Imagine what a variety of noises reverberates about my ears! I have lodgings right over a bathing establishment. So picture to yourself the assortment of sounds, which are strong enough to make me hate my very powers of hearing! When your strenuous gentleman, for example, is exercising himself by flourishing leaden weights; when he is working hard, or else pretends to be working hard, I can hear him grunt; and whenever he releases his imprisoned breath, I can hear him panting in wheezy and high-pitched tones. Or perhaps I notice some lazy fellow, content with a cheap rubdown, and hear the crack of the pummeling hand on his shoulder, varying in sound according as the hand is laid on flat or hollow. Then, perhaps, a professional[1] comes along, shouting out the score; that is the finishing touch. 2. Add to this the arresting of an occasional roysterer or pickpocket, the racket of the man who always likes to hear his own voice in the bathroom,[2] or the enthusiast who plunges into the swimming-tank with unconscionable noise and splashing. Besides all those whose voices, if nothing else, are good, imagine the hair-plucker with his penetrating, shrill voice, – for purposes of advertisement, – continually giving it vent and never holding his tongue except when he is plucking the armpits and making his victim yell instead. Then the cake-seller with his varied cries, the sausageman, the confectioner, and all the vendors of food hawking their wares, each with his own distinctive intonation.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Moral_letters_to_Lucilius/Letter_56

Edited by guy