UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Food Are You Addicted To Now?

caesar novus

What tasty food or drink have you discovered and obsess about? Especially the quick and simple stuff we can also make:

1) Greco Indian Mexi Pizza, made in 3 minutes! Start with flat naan bread which is surprisingly easy to find. Toast even the frozen version which will both puff and crispen, then spread a THIN layer of salsa on it ("picante" sauce is better which is thinner due to retaining healthy tomato liquid). Then sprinkle high quality tangy Feta cheese crumbles over it. Best to fold it over to eat, but it's not like a soggy calzone inside since you have toasted all sides of the crust for a crazy good wood-oven-like mouth feel. If it drips on you, your sauce wasn't spread thin enough and is drowning the crust. I am allergic to cheese, but feta is light enough to not cause much suffering.

2) Turbo Diet Cola. This is a satisfying snack substitute and anyway I always crave the bite of a cola. But it gets monotonous even when switching among major brands, so I use the flavor enhancer drops normally intended for water. Most brands aim at juvenile tastes, but Mio is fairly adult and complex. For Coke I find the purple berry flavors are best. For Pepsi it needs more kick and the flavors combining lemon with some other fruit excel. These are better quality than the mixtures that some fancy coke machines give, like artificial peach or raspberry cola. But it almost has to mix in a plastic bottle of cola and then slowly tumble and maybe sit a while. You can't really mix in an open can.

Edited by caesar novus

3) Blueberry Melt. For a flavor packed healthy dessert, half fill a bowl with frozen blueberries. Then pour in apple sauce with a bit of grape or cranberry juice so that it can all flow between the berry spaces. Stir and set aside for maybe 15 minutes until the berries are about 3/4 thawed. They will be releasing intense flavor but not yet mushy - yum!

P.S. For turbo cola above, I just found adding lemon lime Mio flavor drops are wonderful. I dunno why I find this counterintuitive since long ago when self service dispensers first became common I used to mix cola, lemon lime soda, and a dash of root beer. I think I mentioned another cola additive somewhere which is a squirt of box red wine.

Edited by caesar novus

On 2/7/2022 at 1:09 PM, Crispina said:

Still guzzling Ocean Spray cranberry juice and blends.  This was even before that Youtube video made it popular.  😋

I dunno what video you refer to. I should and probably will switch from cola back to bubbly crangrape cider, but I lost easy access to both the best fermenting grape blend and the best kind of yeast.

P.S. My 2 foods above have the further advantage of easily rinsing 100% off the dish in blasts of hot water. For the cal-zza I pin the 2 sides opposite the fold with a fork and eat it like on a stick, without hand contact. So no dishes or hands dirty afterwards 😑

Edited by caesar novus

517DB517-8C50-4A32-8BD5-5443E811F515.thumb.jpeg.26c5d05523ee576b6af42b192fb58f08.jpeg

I’ve been trying to have a more healthful diet. Nothing like sushi and beer on a hot February day. (It’s almost 80 degrees today.)

Edited by guy

13 hours ago, Crispina said:

Is this your courtyard/garden? How lovely.

Thanks. It’s our backyard and it’s a mess. Being from Pittsburgh, I am fascinated by cactus plants and palm trees. When the cacti bloom, they are absolutely beautiful. The flowers last just a few days, however.

Fortunately, my wife deals with the nasty prickly cactus spines (and the far-too-many scary black widow spiders).

D42E6E9D-BB18-4755-B99F-018073FB31A5.thumb.jpeg.e6a754f002fa0f29233b893372d5b123.jpeg

A983054C-420E-42D0-8BAC-18DB280AD3B5.thumb.jpeg.a89a3935a903770353d4f950d94011d0.jpeg

74DB6AF9-AC0A-45ED-877C-4BD04A920AD5.thumb.jpeg.61c5db6b524f4a4cc4fea76d222222ef.jpeg

Edited by guy

• 4 months later...

4) Tomato Onion Soup: This will sound strange but is super easy and tasty. There is limited choice where I shop for food, but they do sell massive boxes of egg-free frozen onion rings. Not so healthy fried or baked, but I put a giant pile in a bowl and microwave down to a greasy slime. Then add dairy free tomato soup to near top of the bowl, stirring in a way to snip off onion lengths. It quickly microwaves back to hot with a minimum of spattering, and the ring coatings release great seasonings and thickness to the soup. The onion flavor is as fine as a soup stirred for hours by French folks at a cookout I attended. So quick and only one bowl to cook, serve, and wash. Not a side dish, it seems as substantial as a casserole. Next time I will substitute even simpler diluted tomato paste.

• 5 months later...

5) Tigersugar frozen dessert: I occasionally fall off the vegan wagon for ice cream. Still egg-less tho; I lived next to Ben and Jerry's sole original store and got heavy due to their gross eggy richness. The food store I patronize now offers "healthy" diet fudgesicles or Taiwanese tigersugar which seems like a tea ice cream cone. Has a nice lite flavor due to some dairy substitutes, altho with apparent side effects of nuking taste buds so nothing tastes normal long afterward (good for diet?). I include ingredients for full disclosure of a some vaguely anti-freeze sounding stuff:

0471070141079_E?$DT_Zoom$

0471070141079_B?$DT_Zoom$