UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Smells of Rome

guy

I wrote the following in the past about the smells of Ancient Rome:

I could only imagine the wide range of smells in ancient Rome. The pungent odor from factories producing the fermented fish sauce garum would be bracing, for example. (Fortunately, the end product was much milder in smell, even enticing.) The pungent odor of garlic, onions, and fish would fill the air.

The odor of dead animals and excrement in the streets would have been sickly. Needless to say, body and oral hygiene would have been poor. 

Fortunately, masking odors of flowers and spices would waft through the air. Burning incense from temples would give a pleasant break to the stench in the air. Incense would also be used to cover the pervasive reek of public cremations, as well as the smell of death from animals or prisoners in the amphitheater.

Here is an excellent video that further explores the smells of Ancient Rome:

I especially enjoyed the image of the tombs on either side of the Appian Way. I've always tried to imagine what it would look like in ancient times.  Very interesting to hear that there were actually make-shift houses and shops between the tombs? stables? Is the narrator using creative license or is this written somewhere?