UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Most Beautiful City On Earth In 1400!

Zeke

What is the most beautiful city in 1400 A.D?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most beautiful city in 1400 A.D?

• London
    • Paris
    • Constantinople
    • Tenochitlian
    • Rome
    • The Forbbiden City (China)
    • Venice
    • Florence
    • Genoa
    • OTHER

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as my other id say Alexandria

Greek Hellenism and Egyptian engunuity combined, great choice! It must have been a spectical of its time.

Cairo, also known as Memphis used to be a beautiful city. Guys you can look at the reference point of when the Arabs came in. Now it's a death trap, and nothing less. :rolleyes:

Edited by Rameses the Great

In 1400, Constantinople but have been but a spek of its former size and splendor. The preceeding centuries had plundered it clean and in the present it had to simply stumble to maintain its depopulation and erosion, on top of the raiding done on it by various Balkan people. Its bankaccount dwindling and its population running. I cant imagine seeing any beauty in the city then to be honest. it must have been a dreadful site to walk in the walls of Theodosius and see the vast land where buildings once stood occupied by "urban farmers". The city was a dead zone.

Rome... not yet. The city was still relling from the after effects of the pitiful Avignon Papacy, the "Babylonian Captivity" which Petrarch commented on, and still needed some time before the gorgeous remodelling and "Renaissance" which reawakened its splendor in a short period.

Tough to say, in this period most of the once great cities had dwindled and declined( the east muslims were still relling from the various steppe conquests and what was once the most beautiful city in the world, Baghdad, was toppled by the mongols centuries earlier) and the modern great cities were still in developed and heading into the transition which would morph them from small urban quarters of the feudal world to the sprawling urban learning centers of the enlightenment.

Tough choice. Cant really say. Maybe Venice?

Edited by Divi Filius

Edo was a fishing village in 1400 AD. His rise started with the shogun dinasty of Togukawa in 1600's.

I can not say Tenochitlian as is little real knoledge about how it looked.

Rome would have been the best western city with some reminants of antiquity, but her beuty was much greater 200 years later. London, Paris and other European cities were not to impressive except for a couple of monuments for ewach city.

I know that the Forbidden City was built by the founder of the Ming but I have no ideea how it looked that early.

Baghdad was a smoldering ruin after the repeated visits of Timur that was still the undisputed leader of the Middle East.

Venice had the great advantage of a beutiful natural setting and clean water while Byzantion despite decadence will still be a hub of trade, art and politics.

My option is Costantinopole that I found few years ago to still be an incredible place and in 1400 would have been at her best looks. Not new, maybe a little broken in same places, but in all her byzantin form with no turkish alterations. All with the beautiful Bosphorus and the Golden Horn.

My choice was Constantinople. I have read many books about it and I have friends who live in modern day Istanbul. From what I have read It must have been far superior to places such as Venice. Although by the 1400 i would say it must have been a faiding charm as it has with stood many sieges at this point.

• 3 months later...

I've just returned from a romantic anniversary week-end in venice and i must say it is one of the most beautiful cities i have ever been in and thats now in the year 2006 so to imagine what it must have been like in 1400 it must have been a pretty amazing city to be in.

The city is so old that when you're walking through the tiny streets and alleyways you could almost be back in 1400 (apart from the price's they charge!!!)In St Marks square i paid

Cairo, also known as Memphis used to be a beautiful city. Guys you can look at the reference point of when the Arabs came in. Now it's a death trap, and nothing less. ;)

You're an ignorant man..!

My word!

I've just returned from a romantic anniversary week-end in venice and i must say it is one of the most beautiful cities i have ever been in and thats now in the year 2006 so to imagine what it must have been like in 1400 it must have been a pretty amazing city to be in.

The city is so old that when you're walking through the tiny streets and alleyways you could almost be back in 1400 (apart from the price's they charge!!!)In St Marks square i paid

There are many beautiful cities on Earth today but back in 1400 A.D the cities that existed were considered to best of their day. In my opinion this is a turning point in the history of human construction because gradually everything began to be built not out of beauty but out of convience. Latter on in the 1800's cities were no longer built out of forced slave labour or human craftmen but industrial macheinery. Their became more steel buildings that were considered "Beautiful." But in my opinion in the 1400s is the point where the most beautiful cities existed on Earth because craftmen's and builders dilbertly wanted to make their creations beautiful. Now-a-days I think it's safe to say that men no longer think of beauty in cities (unless their rich and have money) but as cities as meeting centers and a place to get job enmployment. Paris is still beautiful of coarse....but it much more marvellous back in the day. At least thats my opinion :suprise:

Anyway what in your opinion was the most beautiful city on Earth in 1400??

Zeke

Perhaps it would be helpful to identify Tenochitlan as the ancient Mexico City.

Cairo, also known as Memphis used to be a beautiful city. Guys you can look at the reference point of when the Arabs came in. Now it's a death trap, and nothing less. ;)

You're an ignorant man..!

My word!

• 2 weeks later...

Gaius. I have an uncle who lives in Veneto of Italy and he said once:

"Venetians are the biggest theifs of the meditterenean. They were so 700 years ago and they are so today. They know the whole comes to Venice once. and with that mentality they rob all of it" lol...

Anyway the city is a true European marvel. Nothing quite like it in all of europe.

Gaius. I have an uncle who lives in Veneto of Italy and he said once:

"Venetians are the biggest theifs of the meditterenean. They were so 700 years ago and they are so today. They know the whole comes to Venice once. and with that mentality they rob all of it" lol...

Anyway the city is a true European marvel. Nothing quite like it in all of europe.

Haha how very true :lol:

i wish you'd have told me that about two months ago, but seriously i wouldn't have missed it for the world it truly is a beautiful city

I have been taken by the best in Europe. And but good! The one thing about the Italian 'marioule' - BLOODY THIEVES - is that when you catch them with their knickers at their knees, they laugh and call it a game. Now, if you can speak the language of their COUNTRY (province) you are a pisan. And you ain't a :sp_ike: :smartass:, you are in like Slim.

:lol:

GPM:

Wouldn't have done you any good. You'd still have been sodomized and felt satisfied. :)

Edited by Gaius Octavius