UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hbo Rome and... BBC too

Virgil61

I know HBO needs to take time with the scripts and make them good. I just wonder if at this rate the actor Max Pirkis ( Octavian) will keep growing up enough to continue playing Augustus! Bona Dea!

Undoubtedly there will be a ROME DVD, it's too lucrative for the studios. Actors and writers don't get as big a royalty bite as they do from broadcast, which is causing their own civil wars in their Guilds.

I think HBO should also start a t-shirt logo brand for the Caelian Bakers Guild:" Real Roman Bread for Real Romans!

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the season finaly over my vacation, honestly I was disapointed.

Thats okay. As Horace said: De gustibus, non est disputandem- You can't agrue personal taste. Forgive me, all the Latin majors out there. I'm just riffing off the top of my head at work.

I wish some day someone would do a film on Marius & Sulla. That would be an interesting story.

I wish some day someone would do a film on Marius & Sulla. That would be an interesting story.

I must agree with you, a film about Marius & Sulla would certainly be interesting if done well unlike the recent burst of historical fiction films about thigns that took place in antiquity and then "jazzed up" for the general piblic to apreciate. So yes, perhaps we should get into that.

Egeria screened tonight here-no let up in quality but this felt like a charachter "filler" to give more personal depth to the storyline -Pullo is such a likeable guy , obviously Neptune didnt get a sufficient sacrifice

can someone identify the statue given by Pullo to his woman when the 13th finally moved off from Rome?

Pharsalus screened,if Vorenus is the centre of Roman morality then im with him.What an awesome episode-ok we could have had an expensive battle scene but what excellence, Caesar welcoming Brutus and Cicero back-Pompey explaining the battle to Vorenus, Vorenus upholding Pompeys dignity. As I said way back in this thread this is a perfect exposition of percieved lower upper and upper middle class British morality .

Well just watched today's episode. I missed the first 10 mins, so I'm not sure why they were shipwrecked, but building a raft from corpses was quite amusing and innovative (though highly improbable imo).

I was extremely dissapointed that there was no battle scene between Pompey and Caesar's armies, I have been waiting for that since the series started, but I suppose the budget didn't stretch that far.

I have a few questions about the accuracy of some of the dialogue and plot though-

-When Pompei is explaining his defeat to Caesar, he says his cavalry were routed by a unit of cohorts, and then Caesar's cavalry rolled down his battle line. I always thought that Caesar feigned a retreat in the centre of his line, then surrounded Pompey's legions when the persued. Is this correct?

-At one point one of Caesar's advisor's tells him that Pompey's men outnumber him 3, even 5 to 1. I was under the impression the ratio was around 2 to 1.

-When Pompey is discussing the 13th legions seige of Vercengetorix's hill town (I always forget the name of that battle), he says the 13th were outnumbered 2 to1. Again, I was under the impression that Caesar's army was eventually outnumbered at least 6 to 1 (When the Galic tribes laid seige to Caesar's own seige lines), possibly as much as 10 to 1. Is this correct?

I just noticed how smoking hot the actress that plays Octavia is, I hope she gets smoe more tv work soon. I was also impressed with the ending of tonight's episode (the beheading of Pompey), and much amused by the description of Pompey as a Dacian catamite! Harsh.

As an aside... has there been much talk in the British press regarding the success or failure of the show as far as ratings go?

Ratings are high, Rome is beating everything else atm (though I am slightly bemused by the fact that BBC2 has Rome going up against BBC1's "Life in the undergrowth". I always watch anything by David Attenborough, I assume his ratings are high, I think this is a mistake by the BBC to be playing 2 quality shows against each other). Does Attenborough ever appear on American / Aussie tv?

Edited by Trajen

As an aside... has there been much talk in the British press regarding the success or failure of the show as far as ratings go?

regretably no-incredibly its perceived as an "intellectual" programme-shows how far our broadcasting has declined toward mass taste.Audience numbers are good though.In the past this is the standard that would have been demanded as a benchmark of ability.

Edited by Pertinax

Does Attenborough ever appear on American / Aussie tv?

He does indeed occassionally show up as a narrator on the random 'Nature' show here in the States. Several years back he was the 'host' of the widely distributed Time/Life video series... 'The Trials of Life'.

But back to Rome...

Caesarion just screened-Titus Pullo really is a good man in a scrap and Caesars eunuch insults were excellent.