UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Last Recorded Use Of The Guilotine In France

Princeps

If you stayed in on Friday night and watched QI, you may have seen this. One of the questions was of the last recorded use of the guilotine in France. To my suprise, it was 1977! Government sanctioned be-heading in Western Europe just a few years before I was born :huh: .

As I say, I'm suprised, that is all.

One of the questions was of the last recorded use of the guilotine in France. To my suprise, it was 1977! Government sanctioned be-heading in Western Europe

Wow. That's quite interesting. What was it for? How did the poor person earn that punishment?

They did not go into detail, except to say that the guy had only 1 leg.

The guilotine is a strange form of execution to my thinking. I think it would be almost as disturbing for the audience as it would for the condemned. I can think of worse ways to die, but not many worse things to see.

I suppose it was quick though, you wouldn't have to endure some more painful executions that are being discussed in the Worst Roman Punishment thread lol :D

Perhaps the chap did something to make him seem motivated against the system in France. This was mainly what it was used for in France from the beginning;getting those trouble makers out of the way.

I understand that consciousness is said to continue for up to 15 seconds after total decapitation. ;)

If you want to use Decapitation as a execution technique then the Guilotine is the best way of doing it.At least the head would come clean off, which was rare if you were using a sword or axe.It took the executioner two swings of his sword to get Mary Queen of Scots head off!

You often had to pay the executioner to sharpen his weapon,if you never payed him he'd use a blunt sword/axe and he'd take a good few hacks before he killed you,lousy b******.

I'd choose a Guilotine over a sword man any day ;)

Occipital nerve has to be chopped through -if you recall our friend Maximus asking for a "clean death" thats about the spot an assasin would make for.

• 2 weeks later...

Once you've read this i'm sure you'll agree that he deserved what he got.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamida_Djandoubi

I've no sympathy with people like that, they should guillotine the lot of them. If you think the guillotine is bad, you should see what long drop hanging can do to a person's complexion. (Put it this way long drop hanging works by breaking the neck, the neck break does not kill you but causes you to black out, then you spend 15 minutes strangling to death). Decapitation takes about a minute or two a most, of which shock will take over and you shouldn't feel anything.

Actually decapitation is probably one of the most humane ways to die (even if it doesn't look it). The US currently uses two methods of execution that are really nasty.

Firstly the electric chair, if it's done correctly then apparently it destroys your nervous system and then you burn alive and boil... the charge bursts all the blood vessels anyhow, and stuff bursts, like eyes. Technically you shouldn't feel it anyhow. If the get the charges not quite right or the sponge is not wet enough... then well the nervous system might not be destroyed and you're gonna feel it. Think Ethel Rosenburg. Electric chair should be banned outright, it's as humane as sticking someone on a bonfire.

The other method of the gas chamber is even worse. Cyanide is a particularly nasty and extremely painful poison. Most people in the gas chamber suffer terribly and they don't die of the poison (unless they're unlucky), they generally die from bashing their brains out on chair's head rest.

How the US government still allows these brutal practices to continue and insist that decapitation and long drop hanging are more inhumane is beyond me.