UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome & Usa

HISTORICUS

Maybe it's been mentioned before, but another similarity between the US and the Roman Empire at its height is diversity. Rome for the time was a quite a diverse society, with people coming in from Africa, northern and central Europe, the Middle East, and even some from the Far East. Even the emperors were somewaht diverse, coming from all around the empire. The US in comparison is extremely diverse, with citizens coming from all around the globe. The highest levels of government have remained largely in the hands of white men until recently, but that's slowly changing.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a US citizen, when I look at the history of my country and the annals of Roman history I'm forced to admit that there are some comparisons that invite a lot of discussion and reflection. The one that hits me the most is the fact that both entities fought kings to win an independent republic. Both republics contributed mightly to the science of politics and human rights. Then the Roman and the US republics turned into empires. All through the empire phases republican symbols were/are used to distract the citizens from the fact that the empire was/is eating the republic.

Edited by Ludovicus

I agree with Virgil and Ursus. The parallels between any two eras in history aren't hard to find, and once you find a few, it's tempting to fit everything on that Procrustean bed. While it's natural to use one's own experiences to understand that of others, the danger is that it gives one an illusion of understanding when all one really has is an analogical projection.

My feeling is that what makes Rome cool is that it is in some ways utterly unique. Wouldn't it be sad if there were nothing new under the sun?

Without delving into too much detail right now on the subject, I would just say that I wish my Congressmen would read or brush up on Polybius, Chapter 6 because I know our Founding Fathers were versed in it.

Specifically:

Denegration of Constitutions, 6.8

How Democracy Rises & Denegrates, 6.9

Lycurgus, 6.10

Conclusion: Dangers Ahead for Rome, 6.57

@Emperor Goblinus

The difference between the USA and the Roman Empire in the subject Diversity, is the the USA is a so called RainBow nation, and its so diverse because of the Mass Immigration. While the Roman Empire was diverse beacuese the Romans Expanded and Conquered almost the whole known world. And Rome subjected the local conquered population as their citizens. Rome and Italica (the birthplace and heart and Blood of Rome) wasnt diverse at all. The slaves that rome made, were not shipped or send to Italica, the were slaved in their own teretorry,shaping and building it like the Romans wanted. the External provinces of Italica, was were the majoprity of slaves were kept, due to the simple reason that Italica was already build and the Conquered Provinces have not. Places like Greece or the middle east and north Africa, were already modernised and Structured. so very few of these conquered people were slaved. But the Celts and the newly conquered Celtic provinces were under developed, and there for the celtic slaves had to build it up. So Rome and Italica wasnt diverse at all.Only a small minority was not Italic in Rome and Italica.

I dont know if anybody mentioned it or even noticed it, but in the USA Congress, there are To Paintings of the Roman Fasces and also in Cincinnati, Ohio., there is a statue of the Roman Consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus holding the Roman Fasces.

Edited by LEG X EQ