UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Do You Do For A Living?

claudia

Im interested to know what everyone here does to earn their daily bread.

I personally would love to dedicate my life to researching ancient Rome, but unfortunately my pesky need to eat and pay rent got in the way of my ambitions.

I'll go first - I am a registered nurse and work in operating theatres full time, so I am only a history buff on weekends :)

(Interesting sideline: Since I started working in OR, I realised how much blood the body contains and was just thinking how revolting the ancient battlefields must have been. It is bad enough doing what I do, which is in a clean and contained environment - imagine the GORE with thousands of wounded bleeding in all different directions! The smell would have been rank.....)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Sorry, what I meant was the only kind of high schools these days that offer Latin ( and classical Greek too in my school) are Jesuit high schools. I'm referring only to the high school levels. Obviously a lot of universities would have latin for their classics program. Sorry to mislead)

I'm a student at the moment, but on weekends and throughout the school holidays, i do casual labour around the shire i live in, like grading watermelons, harvesting cherries and oranges and shearing/rouse-abouting. I also work on my own farm to help my dad out, and i'm the youngest member of my area's local Volunteer Bushfire Brigade :P

I'm a lower level cellular biologist working for a pharmaceutical company. It takes a lot of my time much to my sorrow...I think I was an archaeologist in another life. :P

Hey I took four years of Latin in a non-Jesuit high school, but admittedly the class was a special rarity and I was lucky.

I'm the youngest here then, I'm not even in high school, 8th grade is so lovely, and our high school has latin and the middle school does too. Unforuntely I am in a class of about...13 students.

So lovely me, I don't have to work at all, ever, minus homework that is but that isn't really the same thing is it? Oh well, I feel bad for you... :P

Medical Herbalist and weirdly also a Chartered Surveyor.I started off as a geologist got distracted and became interested in poulation studies/health then forgot that and studied Surveying ,then decided I was allergic to being behind a desk. I prefer history though.What was I thinking of?

and I forgot to say to Claudia-remeber a little blood goes a long way especially from a head wound!

So lovely me, I don't have to work at all, ever, minus homework that is but that isn't really the same thing is it? Oh well, I feel bad for you... :P

hehe, you dont have to feel bad for me! :) I for example enjoy my job! (head of sales for the computer departement in the biggest mall of my hometown)

cheers

viggen

I have no life outside the internet, I'm actually just a piece of spamming software which periodically responds to random threads with pre-programmed commentaries... Actually I'm a 19 year old advertising student in New Zealand whose just begun summer break. I go to the gymn four times a week, and asides from a keen interest in military history and Roman civilisation I also enjoy cooking, writing, reading, snow skiing, designer clothing and socializing. I hate and embrace the genocide of the following things: Hippies, Goths (the contemporary type), Punks, Druggies, Political correctness and idiots.

Currently working as an assistant archivist.

Hopefully next september i'll be enrolled upon an archaeology degree and i can only hope that it'll lead onto a career in archaeology. Laboratory work preferred.