UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Most Terrible Thing You Have Had For Dinner

Pertinax

Oysters are horrible :) its like swallowing something bad you coughed up.

Snails are quite nice in garlic butter,something i would only eat when in France though.I like most sea foods (except oysters),including Octopus and squids,i grew up in a coastal town and when we were kids we would spend hours picking muscles off the rocks or hunting big fat crabs :D .Happy times.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its welks I cant stand! rubber fish. We eat a lot of Morecambe Bay shrimps here -so we should glow in the dark.By the way longbow surely you are a connisseur of saveloy dips and pease pudding?

Fratres of the Americas-Morecambe Bay is said to be a little "lively" from its proximity to Sellafield, though I know shrimps tend to glow int he dark anywayand be indiscriminate scavengers :) .

Edited by Pertinax

saveloy dips and pease pudding?

Saveloy's are gross,i like a bit of pease pudding with thick cuts of ham,hmmm.

I agree Pertinax the welk is a poor meal,too chewy.My Grandad used to eat some strange food,he allways seemed to be cooking something weird like pigs trotters or tripe.I asked him once why he liked that sort of thing and he said its what he grew up eating,and i was lucky that i'de never been hungry.I guess its because of growing up during WW2 and all the rationing that people endured.

The Saveloy is a sinister creation indeed -too smooth and orangey by far -when I was young and impoverished and living in Gateshead , working in Sunderland and Shields I couldnt afford much else. :)

My Mother ,(who is a very great age) still likes Lamb's hearts and duck gizzards for the same reason as your Grandad.

I was in Denmark a few days ago and tested one strange dish (not so terrible, lol, more really strange for me). It was recommended for dessert like a local dish.

Well, little rolls with not sweet cream, toasts, asparagus, garden radish and bilberry jam. (looks like an absolutely incredible mix from different foods but it's not bad though)

I don't know what it is, but she claims it is a salad, but I don't see any lettuce, or vegetable matter for that matter. It's purple and it quivers, and she expects me to eat it tonight! :blink:

An unusual whelk perhaps? :o

She claimed it to be a Beet salad.... yuk! But I still love her, though outta revenge I treated he the day after to my own particular kind of dish, stemmed broccoli with sliced hot dos and cheese poured all over.... she pretended to like it, though I know she thought it was beneath her.

Broccoli is fine-the presence of sulphoraphane is a powerful trigger to the removal of free radicals especially in the lungs. Continue the treatment!

http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/broccoli.htm you a snippet on the virtuous vegetable :blink:

I'll eat any kind of skeletal muscle tissue from pretty much any vertibrate and most water born invertibrates. (that means no thanks to bugs & worms though they may be yummy to some folks)

In general I have never been much on soft muscle tissue (i.e. organs) though if it's hidden in enough spice & sauce I can take it. Wait a minute, the digestive tract illicits a particularly disparaging response from me..

As an ex-beloved of Artemis (used to hunt) I've eaten most furred & feathered creatures that are legal to 'take' in the Southeastern US.

Yes that even means squirrel :blink: which is an excellent replacement for chicken in Coq au Vin... ;)

Dove is also quite delectable as the whole breast is a very rich dark meat.

I'll eat any kind of skeletal muscle tissue from pretty much any vertibrate and most water born invertibrates. (that means no thanks to bugs & worms though they may be yummy to some folks)

In general I have never been much on soft muscle tissue (i.e. organs) though if it's hidden in enough spice & sauce I can take it. Wait a minute, the digestive tract illicits a particularly disparaging response from me..

As an ex-beloved of Artemis (used to hunt) I've eaten most furred & feathered creatures that are legal to 'take' in the Southeastern US.

Yes that even means squirrel :blink: which is an excellent replacement for chicken in Coq au Vin... ;)

Dove is also quite delectable as the whole breast is a very rich dark meat.

How very interesting-is this the grey squirrel that is eaten?

Also is the Dove called a "squab" in the uSA or is that confined to immature pigeons?

Also is the Dove called a "squab" in the uSA or is that confined to immature pigeons?

Yes, the grey squirrel. Red squirrels aren't really found in my part of the South and Fox Squirrels are most towards the Coast. Though I imagine they would all taste about the same. :blink:

As for the Dove, you are correct in the assertion that Squab refers to young pigeon here. The particular doves I've often enjoyed are Mourning Doves:

h3160pi.gif

Not to be crude or disrespectful to my little feathered friends, but shall I describe the process & how easy they are to clean?

Edited by Pantagathus

Yes, the grey squirrel. Red squirrels aren't really found in my part of the South and Fox Squirrels are most towards the Coast. Though I imagine they would all taste about the same. :blink:

As for the Dove, you are correct in the assertion that Squab refers to young pigeon here. The particular doves I've often enjoyed are Mourning Doves:

h3160pi.gif

Not to be crude or disrespectful to my little feathered friends, but shall I describe the process & how easy they are to clean?

certainly, the Triclinium must be filled ( and ive just eaten some smoked oysters-excellent)

Edited by Pertinax