UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Most Terrible Thing You Have Had For Dinner

Pertinax

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

certainly, the Triclinium must be filled ( and ive just eaten some smoked oysters-excellent)

It is almost as if they were designed to be eaten...

Of course you start with defeathering them, then clip the head & wings with shears and Deskin them.

Now then, doves' breasts are heart shaped and are framed in a sense by a flat breast bone & membrane that separates the meat from the organs. You basicaly just put your index finger under the 'point' (roughly inbetween the legs but a bit above) and lift up!

You then have a nice clean delectable heartshaped breast the size of your palm that is held together by a thin flat bone that borders the whole thing & membrane that is almost stretched like a little drum head over the bone. Excellent for grilling or baking!

Coincidence that I'm here talking about game and I'm having deer & mushroom gravy tonight! :blink:

I must remember to pour libations to Artemis!

Edited by Pantagathus

I can beat anything in this thread so far Roman or modern, lamb "sweetbreads " are cooking for dinner,( that being the "seminal vessels")

In sympathy with the First Spear Centurion I add that Pheasant is planned for tomorrow.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare :)

Edited by Pertinax

"I sense that someone wearing a toga is conspiring against me."

Instead of conspirare, you can also use the future perfect infinitive, conspiraturus esse, will conspire against me. :)

excellent, you got my drift-and fine tuned!

Longbow informs me that the Haggis has been outed as a Roman invention on national television, my researches are incomplete but the essence of this splendid dish is that those parts of a beast not consumed after the hunt are not to be wasted-so salted or dessicated they are placed in that convenient receptacle , the stomach of thhe slain animal.The addittion of oatmeal is Scottish refinment reducing the fattiness and richness of the offal and adding slow release carbohydrates to the meal.

The etymology of the word haggis is not Latin, it appears to be related to the Swedish word Hagga (as in Hagar the Horrible) meaning to chop or hew.This does not however prevent the dish being given a local name aftre its introduction.

Edited by Pertinax

Uh so does that mean Haggis is not of Roman origin?

No-the Edict on Haggis is as follows: possibly originates in Greece, certainly consumed and prepared in Rome, exported elsewher-re-invented with local ingredients and re-named with local derivations.

I hear the British used to eat Pigeons, and raised them as a farm animal!

I dont know about them being raised as farm animals but Pigeon has allways been eaten over here,its the wood pigeon which is eaten not the common city variety,wood pigeons are much bigger.

I hear the British used to eat Pigeons, and raised them as a farm animal!
I dont know about them being raised as farm animals but Pigeon has allways been eaten over here,its the wood pigeon which is eaten not the common city variety,wood pigeons are much bigger.

and a lot less scrofulous

A light snack of rillettes d'oie has crossed the Triclinium ,with a very light Monbazillac ( squsito)!

Sounds really exquisite Pertinax ( and especially complex to an America who undoubtedly would be confused like me)

I wont spoil it by telling you at once ;) -lets see if Pantagathus knows the wine I mentioned!