UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Empire

Germanicus

"Chris Egan joins Trudie Styler, Emily Blunt, Santiago Cabrera and James Frain in an epic retelling of the story of Roman emperor Octavius, nephew of Julius Caesar, in a six-part miniseries Empire. "

This show called "Empire" starts on TV here in Australia soon, and from the add looks good, with a reasonable budget - I think it's a BBC production - anyone seen it or know of it ?

Is this as poor as the film "Augustus " is said to be ?

Then I can avoid wasting time watching either.

Edited by Pertinax

dare I ask -how does Alexander compare?

dare I ask -how does Alexander compare?

I actually liked it. People hated the homosexual aspects of Alexander, but it was not as heavy as people make it out to be I think. Like nearly all movies, I wish they did their battle scenes better. I mean it is battle that Alexander is best known, and like all directors they decend into epileptic flash scenes every time rather than actually trying. You'd think a man with a budget like his would do more.

The first episode starts out relatively promising and then becomes progressively worse with each successive episode. I completely skipped the last two episodes.

I did get a kick out of the guy that played Cassius. He is amusing in a cynical way.

It's not a BBC production. It was produced by ABC, the american network owned by Disney.

"Chris Egan joins Trudie Styler, Emily Blunt, Santiago Cabrera and James Frain in an epic retelling of the story of Roman emperor Octavius, nephew of Julius Caesar, in a six-part miniseries Empire. "

This show called "Empire" starts on TV here in Australia soon, and from the add looks good, with a reasonable budget - I think it's a BBC production - anyone seen it or know of it ?

Out of interest, when does that start Germanicus? Is it only being broadcasted in certain areas of the country, or will we out here in the bush get to see it?

If it's as bad as everyone says, then i probably wont be interested in it for long, but as was mentioned above, it may be interesting to view intially, if only because of the inaccuracy.

I concurr with our other citizens that ABC's EMPIRE was pretty bad. It's what made me reluctant to watch HBO's ROME at first, especially when I heard t was going to cover basically similar ground. Thank goodness that it was much better. Why can't there be a fun miniseries about Septimius Severus and his sons or Constantine, Constantius and Julian the Apostate?

Here is the initial thread on the show Empire. As you can see, my initial response was quote positive and enthusiastic. (It was based mostly on hope, and excitement for a show dedicated to ancient Rome.) However, if you continue reading you will soon find that the show becomes laughable at the very best.