UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hbo Rome Second Season

Primus Pilus

Welcome, Sander - I hope you enjoy your time here among us. Thank you for posting the info on the second season of 'Rome'. I think we are all looking forward to it - even the old nit-pickers like me ;)

And yes - you are a blasphemer regarding 'I, Claudius' ..... the punishment decreed by we oldies is that you be tied to an uncomfortable chair and be force-fed numerous replays of Jacobi and Hurt acting out the 'You've become a god!' scene in Episode 8. ;)

Once again, glad to have you on board. :)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Sander and thanks for the tantalising info!

Hello group - I am new here and have found this forum through an intense google search trying to get teasers for Rome's Season 2. I am completely hooked and once I started reading your page was entranced. I hope to enjoy the Second Season with you and your thought-provoking comments.

Thank you -

Aelia

The question is then, why try to show the battles at all?

Phil

I completely agree with Phil, we've all seen the gladiator battles and the battlefield carnage movies. What makes this show unique is the interplay between these characters and the daily life scenes. From I've read and watched they've tried to be s faithful as possible to the historical texts on this stuff.

Love HBO for taking the expensive chances.

Tee

The speculation is still there based on the last series as to whether Pullo and Vorenus will take opposite sides. Remember when Anthony brings Vorenus back as evocati, he ominously states "...and I expect your loyalty." followed by a kiss on the cheek. Pullo is obviously with Octavian.

The speculation is still there based on the last series as to whether Pullo and Vorenus will take opposite sides. Remember when Anthony brings Vorenus back as evocati, he ominously states "...and I expect your loyalty." followed by a kiss on the cheek. Pullo is obviously with Octavian.

It struck me that these two represent the "usual" pairing of noble folly and base wisdom as a working relationship (Holmes and Watson, Quixote and Panza, ) , hopefully Pullo as the cheerful , savage, Everyman will save the day.

• 4 weeks later...

Clodius, I do think there is much substance to this speculation and as you point out, Vorenus is bound to Antony by a solemn oath and knowing his character, he will stand by his word, however displeasing it may be to his own personal views. Pullo, of course, is Octavian's man and therefore, we could have them fighting each other at some point as tensions escalate between Antony and Octavian.

The two should be ideal mediators and perhaps, Antony and Octavian may utilize them as "go betweens" to convey their wishes to one another, as each of them cannot stand to be in the presence of the other, although they are "allied" by a common triumvirate. I wonder what Lepidus's role will be in all of this. I'm also interested in knowing if they would bring Fulvia into the picture at some point. She is a strong woman and should be an interesting character to portray. I'm also looking forward to who will play Marcus Agrippa, Octavian's right hand man.

Edited by Skarr

• 4 weeks later...

Clodius, I do think there is much substance to this speculation and as you point out, Vorenus is bound to Antony by a solemn oath and knowing his character, he will stand by his word, however displeasing it may be to his own personal views. Pullo, of course, is Octavian's man and therefore, we could have them fighting each other at some point as tensions escalate between Antony and Octavian.

The two should be ideal mediators and perhaps, Antony and Octavian may utilize them as "go betweens" to convey their wishes to one another, as each of them cannot stand to be in the presence of the other, although they are "allied" by a common triumvirate. I wonder what Lepidus's role will be in all of this. I'm also interested in knowing if they would bring Fulvia into the picture at some point. She is a strong woman and should be an interesting character to portray. I'm also looking forward to who will play Marcus Agrippa, Octavian's right hand man.

Its more than speculation. The directors commentary on season one states that Pullo and Vorenus have strong ties to people who will become enemies and the scene is set for the two to war against each other.

In Empire Films magazine they have a 'PLOT SPOILER' icon so readers can avoid articles that tell them too much about the films they hope to watch.

Seeing as our American cousins will get a chance to view Season Two before the rest of us (I'm happy for you!) maybe we should think of a similar warning for the forum?