UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hbo Rome Second Season

Primus Pilus

Somone in TWOP looked at the IMDB cast info for future episodes and posted the following:

David Bamber is not listed as Cicero after episode 3. Brutus is not listed after Philippi, episode 6. Max Pirkis is listed as Gaius Ocatavius right up until episode 8, then Simon Woods takes over. No listing for Agrippa, but Maecenas makes his appearance in episode 2. Servilia is last listed in Episode 7, and not afterward and the episode title is Death Mask. Interestingly enough, Simon Woods makes his first appearance here, yet Max Pirkis is listed in the next episode as well. Camilla Rutherford as Scribonia first makes her appearance in Episode 2, and never goes away. Livia only makes her appearance in Episode 9. Atia, Mark Antony, Cleopatra, Pullo, Vorenus and Ocatavian all make it right from the start to Episode 10.

So it seems the timeline is: Cicero meets the sword on episode #3, Brutus in #6, Antony and Cleopatra in #10.

BTW, the titles of upcoming episodes are:

# 2.01 - Passover

# 2.02 - Son of Hades

# 2.03 - These Being the Words of Marcus Tullius Cicero

# 2.04 - Testudo et Lepus (The Tortoise and the Hare)

# 2.05 - Heroes of the Republic

# 2.06 - Philippi

# 2.07 - Death Mask

# 2.08 - A Necessary Fiction

# 2.09 - Deus Impeditio Esuritori Nullus

# 2.10 - De Patre Vostro

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well if thats true it annoys me,they are going to fast in this series,first off i was kind of pissed that caesar was killed off in season 1,they should of shown some of his gallic wars b/c the guy that played caesar was such a good actor,but i just wish that they dont rush this great show like they did season 1. :angry: And i hope they show anthony's campaighn to parthia and i also thought it was odd that caesar in the show did not talk about parthia.

Edited by Titus001

So - we have to put up with the ghastly Polly's portrayal of Atia for 10 whole episodes! Even though the woman died in 43BC? Well, it doesn't surprise me - it's typical. Nor does it surprise me that there is no listing for Agrippa. I think I aired my concerns earlier in this thread somewhere that HBO wouldn't introduce Marcus at all. The Pullo character is so obviously being used in that role. I doubt we'll see Lepidus. Hollywood (and HBO) film-makers would reason thus: 'This guy plays no real part as he was slung out after the Sicilian Wars and never really figured - ergo, we don't need him.'

I am devastated to see that Max Pirkis is being used through Philippi. The actor is far too young to play the mature Octavian and will carry no conviction at all as to the future emperor in the making. Yes, it worked when he was 11-15 but it will NOT work now.

I await Season 2 with even more trepidation than I awaited Season 1.

At the bbc website for rome it said the show is over/meaning done for/ but season 2 comes soon,even more weird on the lame wikipedia it said this will be rome's last season.I HOPE THEY ARE WRONG,and if its only 2 seasons that means the show failed for being only 2 seasons long or it cost to much money to make.damn you hbo!!!!!!

At the bbc website for rome it said the show is over/meaning done for/ but season 2 comes soon,even more weird on the lame wikipedia it said this will be rome's last season.I HOPE THEY ARE WRONG,and if its only 2 seasons that means the show failed for being only 2 seasons long or it cost to much money to make.damn you hbo!!!!!!

Even if this is true it is no indication of the quality of a show. Some of the best TV shows have only run for two seasons, sometimes because the producers decided that continuing would lessen the quality of the show (e.g. Fawlty Towers, The Office). These shows have not 'failed' by any means.

Edited by Maladict

Sopranos,deadwood have been on for many years,if rome is only on for 2 seasons that means hbo did not profit off it b/c not many people watched it or the show cost to much for hbo,very sad if thats true,i blame my country=usa, for people not watching it b/c the ratings were not even on the level of that lame show dead wood or that goofy show sopranos,very sad if true since they rushed this show in my opinion by not showing what they should have,oh well its a damn great show,i will be angry if this is the last season of rome,great actors,great drama,great scenes, people from my country just did not tune in,i guess they were watching donald trump fire people or american idol....... :angry::lol:

Edited by Titus001

i will be angry if this is the last season of rome,great actors,great drama,great scenes,

Hold your anger, Titus. As far as I can tell from my video rental store, HBO Rome First Season is doing exceedinly well. Remember that nowadays cable series often have a very successful second life as DVDs.

Edited by Ludovicus

Sopranos,deadwood have been on for many years,if rome is only on for 2 seasons that means hbo did not profit off it b/c not many people watched it or the show cost to much for hbo,very sad if thats true,i blame my country=usa, for people not watching it b/c the ratings were not even on the level of that lame show dead wood or that goofy show sopranos,very sad if true since they rushed this show in my opinion by not showing what they should have,oh well its a damn great show,i will be angry if this is the last season of rome,great actors,great drama,great scenes, people from my country just did not tune in,i guess they were watching donald trump fire people or <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=american%20idol" onmouseover="window.status='american idol'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">american idol</a>....... :angry::lol:

Ratings were low here in Britain too, Titus. Although many tuned in for the first couple of episodes, they soon fell away thereafter. Add to this some very mixed reviews in the Press and it spells disaster. I certainly think the viewers gave it a chance over here, but it was the product itself that was its own downfall.

So - we have to put up with the ghastly Polly's portrayal of Atia for 10 whole episodes!

I actually rather like Atia, but probably for the wrong reasons.

Has anyone besides me noticed the often hilarious similarity between Atia

So - we have to put up with the ghastly Polly's portrayal of Atia for 10 whole episodes!

I actually rather like Atia, but probably for the wrong reasons.

Has anyone besides me noticed the often hilarious similarity between Atia

If it's true that there's no Marcus Agrippa in series 2 then this is major cock up on HBO's part, Agrippa played an essential role in the rise of Octavian/Augustus, to cut such a major historical figure out of the story is just so wrong! :angry:

Atia is to Rome what Livia was to I, Claudius. A pleasant fiction.

I would have though that Gail (The Augusta) enjoyed separating the fact from the fiction?

PS. Stop blaspheming!

As for other HBO stuff DEADWOOD 3 and THE WIRE 3 are available on DVD on 05/02/07.

From the preview on the HBO web site, it look like Antony is shown decapitating someone in the Senate house. Granted, the footage lasts about 1.5 seconds, so I could be wrong, but who might it be?

Anne Bolleyn.

Its a long story.....

No idea, MPC, but I'd wager that you have?

care to share?

If dear old Antonius is surgically removing someone's head, it is probably Mr. Tully.

Yeah, and we all know that he died miles from Rome.

Atia is to Rome what Livia was to I, Claudius. A pleasant fiction.

I would have though that Gail (The Augusta) enjoyed separating the fact from the fiction?

I don't mind fiction at all, Paul. I'll even accept a fictional Atia. What I won't accept is a portrayal rooted in the 20th century rather than the 1st BC. Can you accuse Sian Phillips of that? Another thing I won't accept is a woman living on for years after she is supposed to be dead just to fill a fictional plot line. Livia in 'Claudius' died when she was supposed to die. There are certain rules in historical fiction, whether on screen or in literature, that are acceptable, and some are not.

As for the Agrippa question again - I have now scoured the 'full casts and crews' for the 10 episodes and can find no mention of him anywhere. This is a gross miscalculation by HBO - let's even leave out the historical aspect for a moment. The man had character and was a 'rags to riches' sort of guy. Which is precisely why I think HBO are going to leave him out and let Pullo fill that role. What is the point of two of 'em? But let's face it: this show is not for the historians among us - it's there to entertain, and in that it succeeds. I just have to suspend disbelief when I watch it, that's all. I am probably way too critical, as this is what I consider to be 'my' period.