UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Under what emperor would you want to live

WotWotius

Perhaps one wouldn't have to live under an Empoer to be a senator?

Just a thought. It seems the pretty serving girl seems to be catching on. Personaly I'd like to get one to follow me around were ever I went. Perhaps the equivilent to how steven saylor portrays Tiro (Cicero's right hand slave) or on the same matter of steven saylors books, some one along the lines of bethesda.

So what emperor would you have like to lived under?

Augustus of course. His era was one of stability, prosperity and security.

Perhaps one wouldn't have to live under an Empoer to be a senator?

Just a thought. It seems the pretty serving girl seems to be catching on. Personaly I'd like to get one to follow me around were ever I went. Perhaps the equivilent to how steven saylor portrays Tiro (Cicero's right hand slave) or on the same matter of steven saylors books, some one along the lines of bethesda.

For that matter, why stop at just one serving girl? Afterall, this scenario is only limited by our imaginations. Right?

I would live under Augustus.

I would just have to remember to keep my hands off his daughter.

Ha ha ha, Agustus's daughter? My you've got to be daring to go there. Personaly I'd like one very loyal (not to mention beautiful and in love with me) slave girl who folowed me everywhere(as stated) and all my other slaves wouldn't be oh so special to me, I might keep a few pretty ones around for the guests pleasure (and to make me look rich) Otherwise I'd keep to strictly Republican Virtues.

Sorry to Digress thought. I was thinking that perhaps a nice villa life somewhere in naples or some lovely, almost cliffy, seaside position in Sicily under Agustan Reign of course, right durring the Pax Romana Prospering off those born every minute :P

Edited by Sextus Roscius

In terms of the Principate until the deposition of Romulus Augustulus, i'd probably want to live under Augustus, but names such as Vespasian, Trajan and Aurelian come to mind. Rome was peaking in glory under the first two, and life under Aurelian was surely better than it had been perhaps before his reign (He wasn't called "Restitutor Orbis" -Restorer of the World- for nothing);)

But i'd like to perhaps wander slightly outside the parameters and also suggest that i wouldn't mind living under Justinian or Basil II "Bulgaroktonos" of the Byzantine Empire.

Edited by Tobias

I am curious though Tobias, why Justinian? The man taxed people for the air they breathed and despite a number of glorious achievements during his reign, it all fell apart afterwards.

Probably because it'd be interesting to experience the Byzantine world under a great administrator; Justinian's laws brought a lot to the empire, and his military achievements through his generals like Belisarius and Narses certainly reflected on his abilities to choose good thinkers and fighters. Granted, his taxes were high, and yes the Empire did fall apart afterwards, but i believe that the standard of living in Byzantium would have been high for most in Justinian's time.

I would like to see Britain as it was under Hadrian , but I suspect that Severus would have had the greater impact in the North that I am familiar with so thats the era and Emperor I choose -visiting him in York ( where im just about to go :P ), as he had a reasonably lengthy stay in the Colonia, and then having a look round Rome for some culture and food.

Edited by Pertinax

For some sick and twisted reason, I would have liked to see Rome under Caligula.

Gibbon (I think) said that the best time to have lived would have been under Marcus Aurelius, and as long as one were to be wealthy, I see no reason to disagree with that. Perhaps to have been born under Nerva, and to have lived through Trjan, Antoninus and marcus and then to expire early in the reign of Commodus might have allowed one to live in relative security.

As an historian, I would love to be able to go back to around the crossing of the Rubicon and follow the events through to Augustus final settlement. To see Caesar, Octavian, Antony, Pompey, Livia, Cleopatra etc as they really were, and to understand their motivations and why they made certain decisions, would be fascinating.

Phil