UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hey Australians!

Virgil61

Yes, also here in Germany. They said that 5000 White Youths are runnig riot and beating up Lebanese people. All that, because of a Beach? is that correct? I just heard something about a Beach?

Crazy! A couple of weeks ago there were racial Riots in France, were Muslim Youths were fighting against Police and Ran Riot for weeks.

Well, i live out in the bush just west of Central NSW, so i'm not that close to it, but it's all over the news here as well. It all began with a few Australian Lifeguards being beaten up by a group of people of "Middle Eastern Appearance" on Cronulla Beach. Well, recently here in Australia, a few people of middle eastern appearance have been causing fury amoung the people (Multiculturalism is sure as hell not the blessing Paul Keating and Al Grasby said it was according to them), and multiplied with the thoughts of terrorism and the thought of foreigners hijacking our country, this anger just bubbled over.

A mobile phone text message reached the local Shire offices declaring that a "Lebanese and Wog Bashing Day" had been declared by the people, and suggested that they bring friends to help them do just that. Since then, it's just been riots all over the place on the NSW coast, mainly places like Cronulla.

You have to remember that the Australian culture is predominantly British in nature, and a lot of people largely resent what they see as Muslim or Foreign Intrusion.

It's pretty much under control now, but it indicates that a certain amount of Australians are not happy with Multiculturalism.

Myself, i don't have anything against foreigners, one of my best mates is from Egypt. Just must be those crazy city dwellers, it's so much better in the bush ;)

Can you add anything i may have missed Germanicus?

Edited by Tobias

Myself, i don't really mind it, one of my best mates is from Egypt. Just must be those crazy city dwellers, it's so much better in the bush ;)

Can you add anything i may have missed Germanicus?

HEY TOBIAS!

Us city dwellers arnt crazy! Anyway i think both sides of the community have gone overboard. I live basically in the next suburb to maroubra where "muslim gangs" smashed hundreds of cars. Although im a quarter Leb i am proud to be Aussie and i think this jsut got out of hand. Also the combination of extreme heat and alcohol.. and the influence of Neo-Nazis are said to have created the violence

Personaly I think this is just the spark the world needed to set off the racial wars, perhaps I'm wrong, but this is a perfect example of how a small minor law breaking can become an issue of international importance and can cause mass riots world-wide.

It's just the tip of the iceberg I fear, the best we can do is not take part and remain on our current paths.

I've seen all the coverage, but live in peacefull Melbourne so nothing first hand.

It's an ugly side to Australia that I haven't seen for some time. Personally, as already mentioned Alchohol is partly to blame, along with our Prime Minister who has used fear mongering to justify his position on powerfull new anti-terrorism laws and joining in in Iraq. He has whipped the country into a state of fear with adds like "Be alert, not alrmed" all but telling Australians to monitor people of middle eastern appearance. This combined with the bashing of the two lifegaurds, a very hot day and far right nationalist groups whipping locals into a frenzy over it seems to have really fanned the flames. There was already a negative feeling toward Lebanese communities prior, because of some high profile court cases involving the gang rapes of teenage girls around Sydney.

Last report I saw is that things are now under control, the cops are checking ever car into and out of Cronulla. Some damn scary footage though....

I've seen all the coverage, but live in peacefull Melbourne so nothing first hand.

It's an ugly side to Australia that I haven't seen for some time. Personally, as already mentioned Alchohol is partly to blame, along with our Prime Minister who has used fear mongering to justify his position on powerfull new anti-terrorism laws and joining in in Iraq. He has whipped the country into a state of fear with adds like "Be alert, not alrmed" all but telling Australians to monitor people of middle eastern appearance. This combined with the bashing of the two lifegaurds, a very hot day and far right nationalist groups whipping locals into a frenzy over it seems to have really fanned the flames. There was already a negative feeling toward Lebanese communities prior, because of some high profile court cases involving the gang rapes of teenage girls around Sydney.

Last report I saw is that things are now under control, the cops are checking ever car into and out of Cronulla. Some damn scary footage though....

I'm curious, knowing there's a lot of Italians in Australia and especially Melbourne, have they integrated into Aussie culture--like they have in the U.S.--or do they remain segregated?

Edited by Virgil61

I'm curious, knowing there's a lot of Italians in Australia and especially Melbourne, have they integrated into Aussie culture--like they have in the U.S.--or do they remain segregated?

Fully integrated I'd say. A part of the furniture. I think the path to integration is always a bit smoother when people have a religeon in common. The Italian community really is part of what makes Melbourne what it is and it's a migration success story - both cultures have enriched each other if you will.

A Sydney guy I play 8 ball with told me last night that Cronulla is very like a villiage, in that even if you are a Wasp, if you go to Cronulla beach to surf you'll get hassled by "Locals" quite tribal really.

Personaly I think this is just the spark the world needed to set off the racial wars, perhaps I'm wrong, but this is a perfect example of how a small minor law breaking can become an issue of international importance and can cause mass riots world-wide.

No need to get alarmist Sextus ;)

In an Australian Newspaper called the Daily Telegraph, i read a story about how two blokes of Lebanese descent were cornered on a beach in this area by one of these mobs. The mobs were giving all that spiel about how "our Grandfathers fought for our flag and our country, not so that you can come and pollute the country", and the moment one of the chaps said that they were born in Australia, and that the Australian flag was theirs as well, they were just set upon by the mob. If there weren't a few police around, they would have killed this pair of people, who were Australian born. None of these riots are indicative of the true feelings of the majority of Australia, but i'm afraid it does point out that many are not happy about multiculturalism, and don't worry, after i followed the case of the Lebanese Gang Rapists, i was ready to condemn multiculturalism as well, but i've long realised that these riots are definetly not true blue Australian.

By the way Germanicus, just to let you know in advance, i'm aspiring to be Prime Minister one day, keep an eye out for me :)

Edited by Tobias

By the way Germanicus, just to let you know in advance, i'm aspiring to be Prime Minister one day, keep an eye out for me

Awesome ! I'm sure you'll govern wisely - you are quite the voice of reason after all....

No need to get alarmist Sextus :huh:

In an Australian Newspaper called the Daily Telegraph, i read a story about how two blokes of Lebanese descent were cornered on a beach in this area by one of these mobs. The mobs were giving all that spiel about how "our Grandfathers fought for our flag and our country, not so that you can come and pollute the country", and the moment one of the chaps said that they were born in Australia, and that the Australian flag was theirs as well, they were just set upon by the mob. If there weren't a few police around, they would have killed this pair of people, who were Australian born. None of these riots are indicative of the true feelings of the majority of Australia, but i'm afraid it does point out that many are not happy about multiculturalism, and don't worry, after i followed the case of the Lebanese Gang Rapists, i was ready to condemn multiculturalism as well, but i've long realised that these riots are definetly not true blue Australian.

I agree, the mobs are certainly not true to the majority, but the fact that even though you aren't going out in mobs, you still having negative feelings towards multiculturalism. This, consciously or not, means you have a dislike, no matter how slight, agianst a group. More specificaly, those not of your race. This gives a possibility, no matter how slight, for that feeling to be kindeled and to escalate into something more extreme.

Thought I suppose I should try and calm down. But when it comes down to it, I think its going to be far more important what ethnic group you are from and whether people consider you to be deserving. As you said the "our Grandfathers fought for our flag and our country, not so you can come and pollute the country" arguement is going in spark a lot of people off. In America that ones going to get a lot, especialy becuase all the most valiant people from WWII are dieing off, and that might leave some in a bad mood...

but the fact that even though you aren't going out in mobs, you still having negative feelings towards multiculturalism. This, consciously or not, means you have a dislike, no matter how slight, agianst a group. More specificaly, those not of your race.

Sextus...No, it means certain small and small minded groups have a negative feeling toward multiculturalism. Most Australians as mentioned "the majority" have no such ill will, in fact they enjoy and embrace it......part of the "populate of perish" feeling some earlier governments have pushed, to the countries advantage.

How is the feeling to the Indian population down there... their not christian or overly asian, but still very different. Are they incorporating themselves into Australian society fine, and do you think the people yelling at the lebonese would have anything against them?

How is the feeling to the Indian population down there... their not christian or overly asian, but still very different. Are they incorporating themselves into Australian society fine, and do you think the people yelling at the lebonese would have anything against them?

I could turn to my right and ask my co-worker Raghu, originally from Madras, or I could just answer you by saying that I have plenty of Indian Australian friends and don't know any one personally with any ill feeling toward them.

The "people yelling at the lebonese" would probably have a problem with anyone comming into their small area who wasn't a local at the present time.....things need to cool down up there considerably.

Well everyone, i think the problem is solved. Whilst reading today's "Daily Telegraph", i noticed the front page story was that two high profile rugby league players (a Lebanese chap and a chap from Cronulla) have got together to publicly condemn this racism. The voice of sports superstars ought to calm down the masses :ph34r:

How is the feeling to the Indian population down there

We're quite used to them by now. I've got a lot of Indian friends that i work with during the school holidays, and in general they're alright. The only time you don't like them is when you ring Telstra and you get an Indian operator (99% of the time). I'm not racist, but they can be exceptionally difficult to understand over the phone, and when you ring Telstra, you expect to get Telstra, not end up in Bombay or somewhere :D

Seriously though, we don't mind Indians. But then, i'm speaking for myself, others may have different opinions.

Edited by Tobias