UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Saturnalia!

Sextus Roscius

Tomorrow is the official date for the Roman holiday Saturnalia. The day were master's switch places with slaves, gifts of silver are given to others, and all Rome feasts and drinks the night away. So I was wondering what we of UNRV are going to be doing for the holiday.

Oh yes, if anyone has a vegitarian Roman dish that can be made with relitively little money and time, please tell me.

I thought Saturtalia was the 26th of Dec lol. The day after the day of Mithra.

Zeke

Nope. Saturnalia runs from Dec 17th - Dec 23rd.

Dec 25th is the feast of Sol Invictus, the more public version of Mithras. The private Mithraic cults also had their feast this day.

And January 6th was the feast of Aion, the Greco-Egyptian god of Time (sometimes identified with Mithras). This used to be the old date of the birth of Christ before it was moved to Dec 25th. In some Christians circles I hear January 6th is still considered sacred.

Tomorrow is the official date for the Roman holiday Saturnalia. The day were master's switch places with slaves, gifts of silver are given to others, and all Rome feasts and drinks the night away. So I was wondering what we of UNRV are going to be doing for the holiday.

Oh yes, if anyone has a vegitarian Roman dish that can be made with relitively little money and time, please tell me.

So the slaves become senators and the senators dogs like us slaves. Where's the Saturnalia button in the Forum software to enable this important day? Yes, we need a Saturnalia button. Any worthwhile website devoted (so very devoted) to things Roman would have one. Don't talk of food, talk of revolution for a day! Talk of turning tables like the true Romans did. Senatores and Equites, your togas please, on the Saturnalia.