UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Lithuania

Guest panman

well hello its the friendly neighborhood panman. lol

but on a serious note ive been looking for some info on the weapons used by Lithuanian from the roman periode to anywhere to the middle ages (ie before the age of gunpowder) Likewise I know the tribe the Venedi and i know they were somewhat associated with the goths but am cluess on the types of weaponry and armour that they used. Please Please i need some help and i know ive been helped in the past but this is important.

Welcome Panman,

Like we've discussed elsewhere, its one of those things that is difficult at best. You'll find that most information readily available on the ancients will be limited to comparisons with Germanic people of the time and the weapons and armor that they used. Later in history, as you get closer to the medieval period, more distinction between peoples begin to develop and a clearer picture will be formed.

Regardless, I'll see what I can come up with in my library. I must admit, though, that I have very little information on eastern peoples within my reach. Research has definately been done, and is available somewhere, its just not a subject I have any expertise on whatsoever.

I'm sure this person can help though...

http://viduramziu.lietuvos.net/en/

http://viduramziu.lietuvos.net/en/about.htm

http://viduramziu.lietuvos.net/en/contacts.htm

• 2 years later...

The Lithuanians had nothing to do with Rome, because the Romans did not cross the Rhine. Since Varus lost to the Germans the Romans stopped their advance. I do have an idea on the Lithuanians check out the Scthians at that time of the Romans.

The Lithuanians had nothing to do with Rome, because the Romans did not cross the Rhine. Since Varus lost to the Germans the Romans stopped their advance. I do have an idea on the Lithuanians check out the Scthians at that time of the Romans.

Becaus the Romans did not cross the Rhine or advance north fron Dacia, it does not follow that these two peoples did not have intercourse in trade at least.

For sure it was some amber trade between Eastern Baltica and Rome, but there is nothing about it. It's hard to speak about Lithuania before Mindaungas. Some say venetii were slavic.

... Some say venetii were slavic.

This seems likely enough since the modern Wends (also called Sorbians) are Slavic. (They are a minority in eastern Germany.) The name looks similar to Veneti.

The name of the Aestii, also placed on the eastern Baltic shore by Roman authors, makes them look like Estonians (Eesti).

So far as I remember, no classical geographical name in this region is reminiscent of Lithuanians or Latvians.

• 2 weeks later...

Lithuanians are indo-europeans related only with letonians in a group called leto-lithuanians.

They were the last pagans of Europe and created a large state with Bielorussia and most of Ukraine. They created a union with Poland that lasted until the divisions of Poland.

Mindaungas was the first duke of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and the creator of the powerfull Jaggellon dinasty.

• 3 months later...