UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What's Your Favorite Movie And Book?

We talk often on about which book and movie is good, but not many actually pointed out their favorite. So what is your favorite book and movie, or even perhaps an adaptation of a book?

Mine would be the Talented Mr. Ripley(movie/adaptation) and The Glass Menagerie(book, but then I don't like unhappy endings).

Favorite Books:

Non fiction:

Tacitus the Annals - whom I prefer over all the other ancients not only for his style but because I also believe his work to be the most dedicated to true historical reporting.

Caesar 'the Gallic Wars and the Civil Wars'. Despite the inherent propoganda, the work is brilliant and describes a pivotal era of human history.

Of course there are many great books in the 'non-fiction' category but I generally read them only once, maybe twice. I can read the ancients many times over... hence they classify as my favorites even if modern sources provide more insightful analysis.

Fiction:

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. An absolutely brilliant recreation of feudal Britain set in the time period of the civil wars just before Thomas Beckett and Henry II.

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. My favorite 'fantasy' writer in an ever growing genre. His work his more about medieval style heraldy then the typical magic wielding wizards that one would find in that field.

Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. Truly a masterpiece of historical fiction that retells the story of the '300' at the battle of thermopylae.

Life of Brian-though I must say The Book isnt quite the same as the film :)

exactly why are the cheesemakers blessed?

I agree with supporters of Dune-some of the "imagined" things and situations are outstanding-guild navigator in slime dripping 1930s retro iron lung, sardauker face panels, the greenish vileness of all things Harkonnen, Brad Dourifs eyebrows.

If you require me not to "be silly" (as in "lets not go to Camelot, tis a silly place"). then Das Boot is equally powerful as film or book.

Favorite movie--High Noon with Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly.

Favorite novel--The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand.

Both of High Noon and The Fountainhead are about one man standing against everyone for what he believes is right. It's this intransigent independence that also makes me love Cato.

Favorite Movie? I have a lot I love... but here;s one of the top tier ones...

"Starships Troopers"

and favorite book? again WAY to many to list... but a top one...

"Starship Troopers"

LoL... notice a trend?