UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sextus Roscius

Architecture & Technology Forum?

I was just wondering, since both the Architeture and the Technology of the ancient world are highly interesting and surprisingly advanced, not to mention there is so much to it. Why don't we have a forum for it. We have one dedicated to religion, military, ethics, and general history, why not fill in the major gap of technology?

Ideas, thoughts, etc.

I think this is a very good idea, but I'm afraid there might not be enough demand for it. Perhaps if science/natural history were included, we would have sufficient material--after all, we have a very strong group here discussing Roman medicine. (What I now know about Devil's Dung but never would have thought to ask....) :rolleyes:

Alternatively, we could expand it still further to Arts and Sciences--that would include architecture and technology and also give us a place to put the "English/Latin translation" threads in a better home.

Edited by M. Porcius Cato

Yes, that would add on a significant amount that would allow the forum to function better. Personaly I'm incredibly interested and amazed by all the things they could do two thousand years ago.

I think this is a very good idea, but I'm afraid there might not be enough demand for it. Perhaps if science/natural history were included, we would have sufficient material--after all, we have a very strong group here discussing Roman medicine. (What I now know about Devil's Dung but never would have thought to ask....) :rolleyes:

Alternatively, we could expand it still further to Arts and Sciences--that would include architecture and technology and also give us a place to put the "English/Latin translation" threads in a better home.

Good idea, but it seems then that the Romanum Imperium would no long be broad.

If you guys find it too much work, I'll be willing to help out in any way.

Definitely need a real place for the English to Latin translation. I know that many guests view this site all the time. Also, it happens to be my expertise thread and where I post most so far.(well maybe not, there are other people who are good at latin on this site).

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Feel free to help out however you think you can, however the only real affirmation is support of the Admin, which I'm fairly confident will see the usefullness of the suggested Idea.

Feel free to help out however you think you can, however the only real affirmation is support of the Admin, which I'm fairly confident will see the usefullness of the suggested Idea.

I hope the Administrators do support the idea because I reaffirm my support and help.

I wonder what Ursus thinks because he's knowledgable on common sense of what is important. :rolleyes:

I've long advocated a "daily life and culture" folder which would be a catch all for everything from gladiator fights to Latin threads. Archaeology would fall under such an umbrella.

I've long advocated a "daily life and culture" folder which would be a catch all for everything from gladiator fights to Latin threads. Archaeology would fall under such an umbrella.

I've changed the Ethics forum into a more comprehensive Culture forum.. hopefully that will suit our needs. At some point we can always add subforums if the demand is there.

I've changed the Ethics forum into a more comprehensive Culture forum.. hopefully that will suit our needs. At some point we can always add subforums if the demand is there.

So is the English to latin thread in that forum now?

Aside, I see that you sorta used my advice for the title of the forum, lest I may be wrong again.

Via Senatus Consultum? :rolleyes: Yay! I fully agree with the alteration.

as I was saying...my medical /herbal posts would fit in this area I think

Edited by Pertinax

If not we should have a place where they DO fit as they are thoroughly interesting :)

I crye you mercye ! I am flatterede Good Ladye, you are moffte gentil and propre. (as we say in middle English ;) )

and on a more modern note-I suggest my gallery postings tie in from this angle as well

Edited by Pertinax

Indeed, the medicine and herbal information would tie in with the idea as well, falling under the medical abilities, technology, etc.

Personaly I've always wanted to do some peices on Roman engineering and water works in particular. I've always found that area in particular fasansting. How they could do things not heard of until world war 1, like provide running water to everyone in a city. I've acumulated alot of knowledge about Roman engineering technology from various places.

But there really seems to be no good place to discuss it on this website. The general purpose Imperium Romanum always works for most things, but some how it seems to me to be obscure from the general things, as Imperium Romanum is usualy about political issues.

So I'm very glad we've changed the Ethics Forum to a wider range of topics, and if needed we can expanded to more specialized forums.