UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Recommendations Solicited

Ursus

Christian Meiers "Caesar" is quite a decent bio of JC. It's very rich in political detail, less so in military aspects of Caesar's life.

I'd be curious to get your take on Michael Parenti's contraversial bio, "The Assassination of Julius Caesar" as well. I liked it, you may or may not, but even if you feel like throwing the damn thing across the room it's a fairly stimulating and needed (in my opinion) different look at Roman history in a field where sometimes very stodgy conservative views have had wide reign.

I've read "Following Hadrian: A Second Century Journey Through the Roman Empire". It's part biography and part historical novel. Not my first choice, it's flawed but well written, interesting and gives a flavor of his times.

I've read bio's of Augustus and Constantine but it's been so many years I can't remember the exact names which may be a comment on their quality--or just bad memory.

"Diocletian and the Roman Recovery" by: Stephen Williams

"Marcus Aurelius" by: Anthony Birley

"Sulla; The Last Republican" by: Arthur Keaveney

"Sulla the Fortunate" by: G.P. Baker

"Trajan: Optimus Princeps : A Life and Times" by: Julian Bennett

"Vespasian" by: Barbara Levick

Someone else mentioned Hadrian and Constantine shouldn't be terribly hard. On Sejanus, I don't think one exists... unless you want me to check classical/historical journals?

While not exactly a biography, a superb overview of the political career of Octavian is provided by Ronald Syme in "The Roman Revolution." I don't agree with his conclusion, which I find facile in comparison to the rest of his book (see Erich Gruen's "The Last Generation of the Roman Republic" for a similar point), but I think Syme's book manages to mobilize an army of details against the Augustus-worship that has plagued Roman history since his propaganda-machine first got started.

Augustus

On Augustus, I too endorse Syme (but be warned his Latinate style, abrupt and terse, and his very exact use of words can be demanding. But it is one of the greatest of history books and well-worth reading.

I recently enjoyed, very much, Richard Holland's "Augustus: Godfather of Europe".

"Rubicon" (confusingly by TOM Holland, has I think been reviewed on this site before. A good overall coverage.

Augustus caesar by David shotter is a short pamphlet examining some key questions..

I also have a work "Augustus" by AHM Jones.

On Caesar - Rex Warner did an excellent (and in their day much admired) series of novels (but excellently reserached and written). I have "The young Caesar" on my shelves (Fontana 1965 - originally published 1958).

I also have "Party Politics in the Age of Caesar" by Lily Ross taylor (Univ California Press c 1949) which has a bust of Marcus Porcius Cato as it's frontispiece!!

Sejanus - I am not aware of anything on his, but I'd be fascinated to hear if there is anything available. I see him as a pivotal character in understanding the early principiate.

Hadrian - "Beloved and God" by Royston Lambert is good, focused mainly on the relationship with Antinuous. Stewart Perowne (1960) wrote a "standard biography" - I have a US edition.

Aurelius - the Birley is good, as might be expected.

Phil

Here are some recently (or soon to be) published books....

About or around Constantine...

Constantine and the Christian Empire by Charles Odahl

Law and Family in Late Antiquity : The Emperor Constantine's Marriage Legislation by Judith Evan Grubbs

Constantine's Legislation Concerning the Pagan Sunday by Abram Herbert Lewis

The Control of Christianity by the State Under Constantine and His Successors Abram Herbert Lewis

The Conversion of Constantine by Eugene L. Solomon

The Cambridge Companion to the Age of Constantine by Noel Lenski

The Life & Times Of Constantine by Kathleen Tracy

Constantine and Eusebius by Timothy D. Barnes

Some books about Diocletion:

Diocletian and the Tetrarchy by Roger Rees

The Reflections of Diocletian by RobertC.,IIMontague

Diocletian and the Roman Recovery by S. Williams

Aurelian:

Aurelian and the Third Century by Alaric Watson

Restorer of the World: The Roman Emperor Aurelian by John F. White

Marcus Aurelius:

Marcus Aurelius by ANTHONY BIRLEY

Marcus Aurelius: The Dialogues by Alan Joseph Stedall

Marcus Aurelius: A biography by Anthony Birley

The Antonines; The Roman Empire in Transition by Michael Grant

Hadrian:

Hadrian's Empire by Danny Danziger, Nicholas Purcell

Hadrian and the Cities of the Roman Empire by Mary T. Boatwright

Hadrian: Consolidating the Empire by Julian Morgan

Hadrian : The Restless Emperor by ANTHONY BIRLEY

Trajan:

Trajan: Optimus Princeps by Julian Bennet

Vespasian:

VESPASIAN by Barbara Lewick

The Long Year: A.D. 69 by Wellesley, K

AD69 : The Year of four Emperors by Gwyn Morgan (reviewd by Germanicus)

Sejanus:

Sejanus by David Wishart (ok this is a novel but according to this review it is very good

other then that you have to stick with Tiberius to get some info as far as i know

Tiberius and the Roman Empire by Charles Edward Smith

Tiberius by Robin Seager

Augustus:

there are so many books, here are some new coming out or just been released

Augustus: Caesar's Web - Power And Propaganda In Augustan Rome by Matthew D. H. Clark

Augustus by Richard Holland

Gender, Domesticity, and the Age of Augustus : Inventing Private Life by Kristina Milnor

The Cambridge Companion to the Age of Augustus by Karl Galinsky

Augustus and the Creation of the Roman Empire : A Brief History with Documents by Ron Mellor

Augustus Caesar (Lancaster Pamphlets in Ancient History) by David Shotter

Caesar's Legacy : Civil War and the Emergence of the Roman Empire by Josiah Osgood

Caesar:

there are so many books, here are some new coming out or just been released

Caesar in Gaul and Rome : War in Words by Andrew M. Riggsby

Cleopatra's Kidnappers : How Caesars Sixth Legion Gave Egypt to Rome and Rome to Caesar by Stephen Dando-Collins

Julius Caesar And The Roman Republic by Miriam Greenblatt

Caesar by Adrian Goldsworthy

...maybe there are some books you have overlooked and you find interessting...

cheers

viggen

The Wishart "Sejanus" is fiction, but he writes well. Especially recommended for those who like Lindsay Davis; Stephen Saylor etc.

Phil

If anyone knows of contemporary books on these too, I'd like to know. (sorry to use your thread Urus, but I didn't want to waste forum space.)

Cicero... of course for me

The Roscii family?

Edited by Sextus Roscius

There are two books coming out about him later in the year...

Cicero and the Jurists by Jill Harries

Cicero the Advocate by Jonathan Powell

and lets not forget pompeius magnus reviewed Cicero: The Life and Times of Rome's Greatest Politician by Anthony Everitt

cheers

viggen

p.s. sorry dont know anything about the Roscii family

Many good suggestions regarding Caesar-biographies have already been made, but I would like to add Julius Caesar by Pat Southern (Tempus 2001). It's a short, but good introduction to the life of Caesar.

With regard to Cicero, I can recommend the biography Cicero - A Turbulent Life by Anthony Everitt (John Murray 2001). As well as focusing on the facts about his life and deeds, intimate details bring the character to life.

Edited by Livia Drusilla