UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Much Ado About Nothing...

tflex

Like you, Cato, phil25, Pertinax, Divi Filius, Sextus Roscius, Andrew Dalby, others, and myself...

With one exception though ... Divi Fulius was an earlier (and excellent)member of the site under another name. Which is why he is a Patrician even though he seems new.

Since you mention phil25, he was way too sensitive wasn't he? He had a bit of a quarrel with Ursus from what I recall. Curious to know what that was all about? I think at the end he decided to retire.

Edited by tflex

He simply adhered to a particular approach to history most of the rest of us did not share. I welcomed him when he first arrived, but his tone became increasingly "politically correct" as time went on. When I disagreed with his attempt to dictate politically correct language use to us, he made some backhanded comment about my intellect. Primus Pilus issued him a friendly warning for it. At that point he decided to leave.

This sort of thing happens once in a while on this forum. It's no big deal. Life goes on. :-)

This sort of thing happens once in a while on this forum. It's no big deal. Life goes on. :-)

I'm one of the new members but I can say with confidence that this forum has been running real smooth thanks to you guys. There's been some heated arguments here and there which is a positive thing, but when things get out of control the UNRV team is always there to bring about order and thats great management.

Edited by tflex

He simply adhered to a particular approach to history most of the rest of us did not share. I welcomed him when he first arrived, but his tone became increasingly "politically correct" as time went on. When I disagreed with his attempt to dictate politically correct language use to us, he made some backhanded comment about my intellect. Primus Pilus issued him a friendly warning for it. At that point he decided to leave.

His gradual mental decline suspiciously mirrored that of Spartacus (although their individual characters seemed quite different, Phil25 being more intellectual and less willing to argue in his own defence). Phil25 was certainly over-sensitive, this can be seen most clearly with his final "I'm taking my ball home" type comment. It's a bit puzzling to me when forum members do this sort of thing. I don't come here to argue, but I don't really object to a vigorous debate if the situation warrants it, as my previous heated arguments indicate ("fox hunting" and "The British invented death camps"). I don't think I'd consider storming off in a huff muttering "nobody likes me" whenever these type of incidents occour. I prefer P.Clodius' approach of temporarily withdrawing.

I'm not sure that there was any backhanded comment about your intellect, merely that his disagreement with your point was (a wee bit hypocritically) not couched in the politically correct lingo that he seemed to favour. All in all a strange incident, that final thread of his. What on earth is it about? I've only skimmed it, but it seems a bit of a non-issue. Phil25 objects to the term "heresy" and would appreciate it if the world at large ceases to use this word? Very strange.

Oh good ,I thought it was just me perplexed by his apparent umbrage at the word "heresy". Hed pmd me a couple of times and I found him courteous and amusing- and not overwhelmed with "liberalspeak" . Perhaps hell return later, perhaps it was a particularly sore point with him for some reason that didnt come out in his posts?

I was under the impression that he was even older than myself :D so I was hoping hed stay on and make me look youthful!

I'm not sure that there was any backhanded comment about your intellect, merely that his disagreement with your point was (a wee bit hypocritically) not couched in the politically correct lingo that he seemed to favour. All in all a strange incident, that final thread of his. What on earth is it about? I've only skimmed it, but it seems a bit of a non-issue. Phil25 objects to the term "heresy" and would appreciate it if the world at large ceases to use this word? Very strange.

I think the obsession with the application of language and its alleged morality (or lack thereof), and the attempts to redefine the application of language so as not to offend those whom it allegedly oppresses, is rather politically correct in nature, don't you?

Anyway, another poster on here once asked us to get away from using the term

The comment was slight, and hence I gave him only a very slight reprimand. The disagreement between he and Ursus aside, I suppose he felt that his personal agenda did not fit the discussion of this forum and decided to take it elsewhere, which of course is everyone's perogative.

Phil25 has by no means been banned and is free to come back. He will find however, much as other members sometimes have, that there is usually a swift and angry backlash here when people try to paint the past with a modern politically correct brush. Everyone just has to temper things a bit with reason and courtesy and we can sing 'Kum Ba Yah' in a great circle of love.

(well ok, thats a bit much)

I think the obsession with the application of language and its alleged morality (or lack thereof), and the attempts to redefine the application of language so as not to offend those whom it allegedly oppresses, is rather politically correct in nature, don't you?

Anyway, another poster on here once asked us to get away from using the term

Aftre PP warned him, there was no reason for Phil25 to retire, he should have just heeded the warning and carried on a civilized debate. But I think he might have been upset that his own personal agenda wasn't going to be accepted in this forum so he ran off. I wish he'd comeback and prove us all wrong.

Edited by tflex

PP I may implode if you say Kum Ba Yah again- my internal organs cant stand the stress.

Hmm, if you miss a few days on this forum then you miss out on a lot lol, i never saw any of this occur :)

Still, i joined during the aftermath of Spartacus, so i suppose i don't need to see another one lol :)

Edited by Tobias