UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

English-Latin Translations, Part II

Ursus

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean to imply oriental as "asian" or as "eastern?" Oriental is the Latin term for an Easterner and therefore they mean something slightly different. Also, your construction leaves me wondering what exactly you are trying to say. Here is a very straight-forward translation for you:

Improvisus Graecus Asiaticus sic venit.

I doubt a Roman would have said this in this way though, as I wonder if a Roman would have said this at all.

I will spend more time on this.

I realize its confusing, its suppose to be that way.

And I mean to imply Asian

OK, but a translator finds it hard to work on a confusing text. You don't translate words, you translate meaning, so there has to be a meaning to translate.

How about

Aliquid novi: ex Oriente Graecus!

Literally this means 'Something new: a Greek from the East!' It borrows from the existing Latin 'Ex Africa semper aliquid novi', Always something new out of Africa (which gave the title to the novel and film Out Of Africa).

One of the chief dificulties is that we modern English speakers/writers present to those attempting translation is that we rely on punctuation marks that the Romans did not have.

Ecce, Improvisus venit Graecusque Asiaticus est.

Look! The unexpected comes and it is an Asian Greek.

By using "que" I am creating a definite seperation of clauses as opposed to the weaker "et."

Mr. Dalby's is quite nice as well, and I like the reference to the Africa phrase.

One of the chief dificulties is that we modern English speakers/writers present to those attempting translation is that we rely on punctuation marks that the Romans did not have.

By using "que" I am creating a definite seperation of clauses as opposed to the weaker "et."

Mr. Dalby's is quite nice as well, and I like the reference to the Africa phrase.

Your point about punctuation is absolutely right, though. A good Latin motto ought to read itself (so to speak) even if there's no punctuation to be seen. So I prefer yours, Capitolinus!

I tried to post this yesterday but then the site went down...

Mr Dalby or Capitolinus,

Could you please translate:

"You can't eat ambiance"

My preference is a literal translation but the meaning can be used in these 2 instances:

1. A fancy restaraunt is not worth a damn if the food is bad

-or-

2. A lavish, fancy home is not worth a damn if you can't afford to eat

Thanks!

Your point about punctuation is absolutely right, though. A good Latin motto ought to read itself (so to speak) even if there's no punctuation to be seen. So I prefer yours, Capitolinus!

Ago gratias tibi, Mr. Dalby.

Were I to translate "You cannot eat ambiance" I would probably use the passive voice and say that ambiance cannot be eaten.

bona circumiecta edi non possunt

literally = good surroundings are not able to be eaten.

thoughts?

Were I to translate "You cannot eat ambiance" I would probably use the passive voice and say that ambiance cannot be eaten.

bona circumiecta edi non possunt

literally = good surroundings are not able to be eaten.

thoughts?

Thanks Capitolinus,

Kinda looses some gusto but that will do nicely

It does lose gusto. I have often found that people are dissappointed by translations from English to Latin. It is why comedy and puns rarely translate well. They rely too much on subtle rules and expectations held by the language of the audience.

Well, as we know it's a vice-versa situation. Many of my favorite latin quips don't look right in English either!

Thank you again Capitolinus