UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

History Anyone?

Guest thealphafemale

I have it, all I can say is that I love Digging for the Truth series on right now. But the best was 'Rome Week.' Simply amazing, especially one of the main documentaries on the Roman Legion,during Trajan/Dacian War.

I remember that... good episode...

While the History Channel is a great channel, I just wish they did more of the Late Period of Rome or on Byzantium than that of the Late Republic or the High Empire.

Also, I loved the documnetary on the Colosseum and the Spartans.

I recall seeing an exceptional documentary on the Spartans as well, though I can't think of a specific title.

I think the title was just "The Spartans". The documentary covered their civilization from about 900BC until around 300BC. It was mainly concentrated on the Spartans role in the Persian wars and the Peloponnisian wars. Great documentary, I think you can rent it at blockbuster.

I'm sure there are plenty of people in here who watch the History Channel - Which documentaies have been your favorite?

Well, I find THC to be fun lightweight watching...esp. the Civil War Journal, Wild West Technology, and whenever Gunny is on... but I really have problems when they try to do in-depth history.

They have serious problems with many of their "facts." And I notice the farther they get from the U.S., the sketchier their facts get. It was quite a relief when they first started up, but now I genrally avoid it because they irritate me with some error or too large of a generalization in every other show.

That being said, and inspite of the problems, I also liked the series on the American Revolutionary War.

That being said, and inspite of the problems, I also liked the series on the American Revolutionary War.

Was this the one with Kelsey Grammar, among others? I too found that quite well done. I do agree with your premise regarding THC once they delve into non American history. The 'facts' definately get blurred prior to the 18th century.

[i recall seeing an exceptional documentary on the Spartans as well, though I can't think of a specific title.

I think the title was just "The Spartans". The documentary covered their civilization from about 900BC until around 300BC. It was mainly concentrated on the Spartans role in the Persian wars and the Peloponnisian wars. Great documentary, I think you can rent it at blockbuster.

That was a great documentary. And the woman who was narrating it was breathtaking (imho)!

I find most things (Rome) outside PBS tend to get sensationalized, THC and NAT Geo in particular.

I saw one special on one of the discovery/history/A&E channels on the Battle of Chalons where the computer animated legions were in lorica segmentata--about two hundred years after they stopped wearing it. Just recently there was a special on the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest which was a bit of a soup sandwich.

Personaly, my favorite documentaries (series) is the ancient discoveries series. Simply fascinating, comendable, and it completely reverses any though of the ancients being dumb. with the antikathera mechanism, roman supper mills, huge water wells, automaticly openning doors, and the bagdagh battery, there is so much more to it all. No substitute for that, it was my favorite series, and still is.

Just recently there was a special on the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest which was a bit of a soup sandwich.

Is this the meaning of soup sandwich?

Exactly, great site. Nice photo on the upper left, I think I've been that guy before.